Sal, which companies license the hole.

Hello,

I am seeing more and more use of a hole in the blade used as the method of opening. Gerber, Sog, Benchmade and Junglee. There may be others but I just don't know about them. I just want to know who has a licensing agreement to use it and who don't. Thanks.

Liong

------------------

I think that Spyderco has the patent for a ROUND hole. They licenced it to BM for the AFCK. Junglee uses a roundish triangle hole (I think) and others use ovals of various sorts. As far as I know, the only company that Spyderco has licensed the round hole to is BM. They also license it to custom makers for a small fee.

I hope this helps, and someone correct me if I have been inaccurate.

~Mitch

You are correct Mitch.

The fee for custom makers to liscense it is $50.

Later,
John

------------------
Absentem qui rodit amicum, qui non defendit alio culpante, solutos qui captat risus homimum famamque dicacis, fingere qui non visa potest, commissa tacere qui nequit: hic niger est, hung tu, lamnia lammina lamna forumites, caveto!

If I'm not mistaken, it's a one time fee. I don't know if it's $50 per design or if it's just $50 and the maker can use it on every knife he makes. But I do know that it's not $50 per knife...Sal's not that kind of guy.

~Mitch

I remember seeing a Spyderco ad in Blade or Tactical Knives that listed all the companies and makers that had legally used the hole. There were a bunch of them.

Hi Mitch,

Once again you are quite correct. I apologize for not clairifying myself earlier. The fee is $50 per year and the maximum number knives featuring the hole per year is limited to 50. (So basically it's a buck a knife.)
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Later,
John

------------------
Absentem qui rodit amicum, qui non defendit alio culpante, solutos qui captat risus homimum famamque dicacis, fingere qui non visa potest, commissa tacere qui nequit: hic niger est, hung tu, lamnia lammina lamna forumites, caveto!

Back