SALE! 6" Utility Fighter

pretty amazing up there

C’mon next Friday!

For now, the only certain thing for next Friday as far as CPK is concerned will be the offering of that second FK2 guinea pig knife.

I don't know if there will be any UFs scheduled for next Friday because the idea was that Nathan would build more and spread the sales out so there'd be more than a handful.

For those interested who may not know the full story around the UF and other designs, from

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/8-shiv-request-thread.1418429/

That's okay, this isn't a taboo subject.

I like to involve other knowledgeable folks as much as I can when developing something new. Two (or more) heads are better than one and a person with a skill set and experience different than my own can bring a lot to the table. I don't always "credit" those involved. Not because I don't want to give credit where credit is due, but to avoid riding on someone else's coat tails.

For example, Dan Keffeler was very helpful when developing the choppers. I'd love to be able to say "these were developed with four time world cutting champion and blade geometry and handle ergo expert Dr. Dan Keffeler" but that would be capitalizing on his name and reputation. His willingness to share some of that with me was very generous but I can't include that information in the sales because it wouldn't be fair to his "brand".

So, in that sense, the combat knives were a collaboration with Jason Landphair. Jason was a super cool guy and friend of the family and generous with his time and knowledge. The "tactical knife market" is plump with makers claiming Special Forces credentials, and a lot of it is BS, but the reality is the fighters were designed with input from a knowledgeable and experienced Green Beret with multiple deployments in both Iraq and Afghanistan (and apparently other places), and I'm grateful for that though I've never advertised it as such. When I told him I was working on a fighter design we talked about it at length, talking about balance, grips, and use of a modern fighting knife as used in the armed forces. Most servicemen carry a knife. They're not usually used as a weapon, though they need to work in that function. And a person on Jason's team actually did get a knife kill (not one of mine). So his input was important and did shape the design. And his input on the 8" Shiv directly led to the smaller 6" fighter. Those were made specifically with him in mind and he had the first one out the door. I don't know what has come of those knives.

He was killed in Afghanistan last year. This was a real punch in the gut.

jason.jpg~original

I like that picture.

He was educated and well spoken, very intelligent. And he was a real badass, but just came across as no-nonsense and very calm.

I think the last time I saw him we were flushing rats out of my mom's garden with a .22 and shooting wasps. Fun guy. Made good hooch too. :thumbup:

It really is, I came across 1 bear and about 15 Elk just on the drive up. Would love to spend some more time up there exploring and not working ;)

I hear that. Figuring out how to restructure our lives in such a way as to be able to get 'out there' a little more often

Back