• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Sale is Over now. Thanks Everyone - Website Critique

Hi Mark.

For ease of use, the website is great. Good clear headings and that the heading is constant is a big plus. I'd have to agree though that it's a little clinical looking with the stark white background. Not sure how I'd change it but something to give it the warmth of the wood you sell would be nice. On the other hand I can understand the need for neutrality when trying to show the colours of the wood.

As we've discussed, you need to fix the international checkout option. On second thought, don't fix it yet as I am liable to give you more money. ;)

It looks like most of you are saying that I need links from the store back to the informational site so I will make that one of the priorities.

Another good comment was a link from a type of wood listed to the info section about that type wood.

Phil made a comment for having an about us page on the site showing our place where I work. Sounds like another good idea.

It might take me a little while but I will be going back through the store and website and implementing the changes that make sense. Sorry Danbo, No Puerto Rican Dancing Girls.

Nice website, Nice wood...I liked the layout and the ease of opening the larger images. The white background is no problem for me.

My only quibble is that it would be nice to have the scales sorted by species, stabilized or not, etc., like the blocks are.

You might spend a little more time explaining what makes a block or scales "master grade" because there are other blocks and scales shown on the website that did not make it to the "master grade" area that I think are just as worthy...based upon looking at the pictures anyway.

Anyway, good job, it's a nice user friendly website.

When I call a piece Masters Grade I try to only pick pieces that are some of the best I have seen for that type of wood. There are some pieces that are really good but if I have any doubt at all or a bunch of others that are as nice they don't get called Masters.

The Masters Grade is not a Standardized form of grading. Just something I use to point out a piece that I think is a really super good extra nice piece of wood.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see that it's changed all that much since the last time I looked at it (which hasn't been all that long ago).

As far as I'm concerned, it's a little confusing (and time-consuming) to negotiate. If I'm looking for a piece of maple, I've got to figure out "gee, where would he put that?" And then go rummage around through a lot of wood I'm not interested in trying to find maple. It would be a lot easier for me if there was just a list of the different woods that are available, so I can just click on it and go right to what I'm looking for.

I know I am rambling. I will leave it up to you guys. Should pieces be listed in only one category to avoid confusion? Or should it be listed in 2 categories like I mentioned above when applicable?

I find listing in multiple categories when appropriate helpful. I'd rather not have to search every possible category just in case a piece I really want is filed differently than I'd expect.

Your store is really nice! A couple of things I thought about were making the link to your web store more prominent on the main page and including you wood info page link in the web store. Great site!

Hi Mark,

I just registered on your website. Here are a couple recommendations:

1) When registering, show (via red *) which columns are required to fill out. Usually the username, password, and email address.

2) As said by another user, lower the logo name so it doesn't touch the top of the screen. However, I would also change the font of the "Not your normal knife handle wood" to a smaller, maybe even italic font so that is provides some contrast to the name of website. Also with the logo, I would consider placing an opaque image behind the logo name of one of your pieces of burl. That would add some color to the website which that top frame seems consistent throughout the website.

3) When looking at pieces of wood, it would have been nice to show all pieces on one column if you could add a sort option. Then, I could sort by price rather than alphabetical.

I visited your site. It's very user-friendly. I don't think I'd tinker with it too much - it loads quickly and your products look great! In fact, your stuff looks so good that I just bought three blocks of stabilized burl!

Hey Mark.

I haven't been at your site for awhile... so you're going to get mostly positive feedback from me.

First off, the site is CLEAN. I like the nice white background. Nothing seems cluttered. This makes it easy to focus on what I want... the wood. The site, especially the store, is easy to navigate. Things are listed clearly and are not difficult to find. Finally, I very much appreciate the ability to enlarge the photos.

One feature that I think would be handy would be "Previous" & "Next" buttons. If I am looking for a block of koa, it would be nice to be able to click on the first selection, then be able to click "Next" to browse through the inventory, rather than having to go back to the list page. I'm not sure whether this is something that can be easily implemented.

Finally, I have a question for you... what is the piece of wood located in the top vertical row, third from the right in the top photo of this thread? I want some. :D

Thanks for the generous sale and gift certificate offer.

Erin

Edit: I also really like that you give info on who stabilizes your wood on the "About Us" page. This is important to some folks.

The site looks fine on the PC (Windows 7 Pro) in Chrome, Opera, Safari and FireFox. I also tried it in Safari and FireFox on the MacBook (OS/X 10.5.7) and everything looks and works fine.

For those looking for a particular type of wood, simply typing it into the search box will give a nice, categorized result.

Michael

Good man! I used to do this for a living and it's kind of fun to be doing it for someone who just wants feedback. Pretty gutsy to ask for public feedback. I'm guessing I speak for some of the other folk as well as myself when I say that the $10 is nice, but the real reason for helping with feedback is because you've been cool in prior dealings with knifemakers.

I did read the thread, but it's still a bit early - please forgive me if I duplicate stuff mentioned elsewhere. Also, I know you asked about the store, but I'm commenting on the whole website - it's all part of the identity.

I don't need a reply on why each is or is not a good idea - I trust you'll do what makes sense to you, not do what doesn't work, and ask more questions if something isn't clear...

Here's a bunch of random stuff I thought about when critically looking at the site, in no particular order:

1) Home page, bottom - make the words "It's a burl" a link to the itsaburl.com website. Similarly, make the e-mail address clickable (e.g. <a href="mailto:itsaburl@hotmail.com">itsaburl@hotmail.com</a> or whatever). Also on http://burlsales.com/contact.html.

2) I find it weird that different pages have different widths - at least on my computer - which means the locations for links changes when you click on different pages.

3) Avoid having links with NO content - at least put something on the How To pages. (I can't tell you how many pages with no content say "Coming Soon" for years...). For example, I have a small piece of burl I got as a scrap from a woodworker - it might be fun to know how I can turn it into a block - you have pictures on the home page showing something like "raw" - "washed" - "sawed" - "block" - maybe it would be cool to show how it's done. It's not like it's a trade secret, right?

4) Areas with lots of text in paragraph form could benefit from either an indent on the first line, or a double space between paragraphs (http://burlsales.com/stabilized.html)

5) Add some pictures to http://burlsales.com/burlspalt.html to illustrate the points. And to http://burlsales.com/types.html to illustrate the different woods. Links to further information may be a good idea, but there are pros and cons.

6) After people have been to the website a few times, additional visits will be to the store anyway. If you can move your other pages into the web store's navigational heirarchy, then maybe the store could be the default page, which would be most convenient for people who are there to actually spend money without being a significant inconvenience for people who are there to read about burls.

7) If the website and store are not integrated, there should be some way fro a person to navigate back to the main home page. "Home" should probably be renamed "Store Home".

8) For a discussion of background brightness, etc, see here. Whatever background you do go with, please keep it neutral - e.g. gray. A bright orange background will make the colors on the wood look all wrong.

9) The detailed description text is hard to read as it is all run together, no clear distinction between what makes this piece special versus "FREE SHIPPING" type information that applies to everything.

10) When getting detailed information on a piece, it would be nice if it showed in the navigation bar on the left where we were, rather than collapsing to full.

11) I'd put a block in only one categoery.

12) If each piece has its own custom entry with photos, it seems sort of silly to list "In stock" under each piece - I think that' strongly implied.

13) It would be really cool to provide information about whether a particular kind of wood needs stabilization or not.

14) Some folk would buy pieces of wood that aren't big enough for "scales" on a handles, but are big enough (and beautiful enough) to use as scales on pocket knives or as accent wood in larger handles. If you end up with some figured scraps big enough to be worth using in that setting, I'd love to get some. Maybe sell a pile of them, mixed, as a lot under "budget"?

15) Under policy "If for any reason you purchase is not what you expected, return the item within 7 days and we will refund your purchase price.", you might say "...return the item in original condition within 7 days..."

16) In your navigation on the left hand column, arrows tell us there are subcategories which show when clicked. In the navigation on the upper right corner, arrows don't work that way. It's not very confusing, but undermines the feel of a consistent smooth experience.

17) Is there a particular reason for showing 25 on a page, rather than, say, 24 or 30?

18) For folk making a set of knives, it would be really cool to offer sets of blocks all from a single burl - I would buy blocks from the same burl if I knew just so a set could be all from the same burl. Yes, that would be cool.

19) Why are some thumbnails bigger than others? Should ideally be consistent.

20) Agree that about us should have some pictures of the shop and some of the tools you use to make it work. Also, an explanation of the stabilization process would help people understand why they should pay extra. (Also, if the scales are pre-cut, were they stabilized in the pre-cut condition, or were they stabilized as a block, then cut?)

That's all I have time for right now - the 20 month old needs breakfast.

Please let me know if you'd like additional feedback - I can go on and on...

I think your site is great. I've used lots of sites that were nowhere near as nicely laid out. That said, I think what a couple guys were getting at is that on the bottom of the page, where you have the navigation to move through multiple pages of listings it just says:

Result Pages: 1 2 3

..in text that is small and blends in with the rest of the page. I would eliminate the word "Result," make the text larger, and change the font color so that it stands out from the rest of the page. Navigation links like these should catch your eye. Buttons that say "Next" and "Previous" wouldn't hurt either. I also think they should be at the top and bottom of the page, so you don't have to scroll through if you saw something on page 2 yesterday and decide to buy it today.

Hope that helps.

-Josh

Hey Mark,

The store is looking MUCH better than the first time I saw it.

My main suggestion would be to allow a choice of how many blocks you can see on a page. Looks like its currently at 25, I prefer to be able to see everything at once, less clicking and loading of pages.

Other than that, follow some of the above advice and you will have a pretty killer store!

Edit: Just saw tait mentioned this as well... my bad.

Last edited:
Finally, I have a question for you... what is the piece of wood located in the top vertical row, third from the right in the top photo of this thread? I want some. :D

I'm gonna guess that's redwood burl, though I didn't see that exact piece on the website.

And oh, by the way, Mark: I want that black piece in the center of photo #2. Please advise.

Mark,

Ok so I went to the store and tried to add items to the cart if I was in the detailed view it seemed to give me a weird message and not add to the cart I went back to the overview and was able to add to the cart but it still was giving me what looked like error messages I am using a Safari browser I don't know if that is a problem? I was able to finally get the items to the cart and complete the sale and I just went back to the store and the items I bought are now out of the inventory so other that getting items to the cart everything else seems to work well.

Tim

Mark,

Ok so I went to the store and tried to add items to the cart if I was in the detailed view it seemed to give me a weird message and not add to the cart I went back to the overview and was able to add to the cart but it still was giving me what looked like error messages I am using a Safari browser I don't know if that is a problem? I was able to finally get the items to the cart and complete the sale and I just went back to the store and the items I bought are now out of the inventory so other that getting items to the cart everything else seems to work well.

Tim

Tim, Your order came through fine. This is the first I have heard of difficulties adding an item to the cart. Maybe the browser?

Tim, Your order came through fine. This is the first I have heard of difficulties adding an item to the cart. Maybe the browser?

Yup, it crashes in Safari but works fine in Explorer, FireFox and Chrome and Opera. It's only in "detail" view, with a picture zoomed in and you try to add to the cart. Here's the error:

SafariErrorMessage.png

Yep it looks like the browser but once I logged in it seemed to work I went back and tried it and it was working like it should?

Back