Salem Oregon knife show

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
today was the first day and boy is there a lot to see! I'd suggest that anyone who can make it, does so. Lots of great folks and knives.It's at the Reed Opera House on Court street. Hours are 9-3 tomorrow. Stop by at my table and say "Hi". See ya there.

Managed to make it on Sun. and had a good time. It was a bit smaller than I anticipated but the atmosphere was great and an informal poll of table holders was universally positive. I want to be the first to congratulate Nick Wheeler who was awarded Best New Maker and also Tom Ferry for Best Folder. Since they are both fellow NorthWestKnifeCollector members, I'm particulary proud of em. I can't remember the names of the other 2 award winners and I appologize for my overloaded memory. Maybe someone can bail me out! I know they were from Oregon. I got to play with 4 D.E. Henrey's so that was worth the price of admission! Ed Fowler was there and had a kool example of a proper heat treat. Can you visualize a blade that looks like elbow macaroni? Gonna end this with a plug for the NWKC knife show next mo, Feb 23-24 at the Western Wa. Fairgrounds in Puyallup. It will held in conjunction with the Wa. Arms Collectors so there should be a lot of traffic. I'll post more details later and also check out our website: www.nwkc.org/. Support your local knife shows!

the whole show was an awesome affair! If you missed it this year, don't make the same mistake next year. BTW Cameron House got the award for Best Straight Knife. His bowie was sweet!

My friend Bill Burke won "Best of Show" with his version of a Bowie. It was beautiful.
Also at the show were a pair of knives that won the 1862 Paris Exposition. Art Knives that were absolutely the finest I have ever seen. If you did not get to see them, you missed a seldom offered opportunity.

Thanks Bill and Ed for bailing me out and giving credit to the deserving artists. I could'nt remember the names but I remember the knives. The House piece was a super clean and classic stag handled bowie that was quite light and quick for it's size. Burke's had a huge (had to be at least 3" in diameter) palm filling crown stag handle that tapered into a very compact forged blade of magic steel. There was a lot of nice stuff. The Paris Exibition pieces were magnificent and also avialable, but my annual wages fell well short of the asking price! The kool thing is, at least you get to see and feel all the variety of edged tools. Can't forget to thank Bill Claussen and his staff for bringing it all together. There aren't enough knife shows so support any you can.

It was a fun show...pretty slow this year, but it was the very first one that Bill put on. Bill and his staff/family were great, very personable and fun to be around.

There were many very nice knives there, but most of all a lot of good people to hang out with and talk to.

Unfortunately I have been feeling close to 6 feet under for the last 5 days, but the show must go on right? ;)

I'd also like to add that Bill's store, Northwest Knives and Collectibles is very cool...there are some unbelievable knives in there.

I'm glad I got to meet some more forum guys too!

Thanks,
Nick

Hey Nick, I hope you don't have the same bug I have, I'm on my 10th day and feeling worse than yesterday! Finally went to the Dr. and now I've got bronchitis and laryngitis from all the coughing. I think I freaked some guys out by convulsing while examining their knives! Any way, that pretty award should make you feel better ;) I've got nothing to do but read bladeforum posts, so things aren't that bad.

Back