Salmon Time!

Bruce Culberson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The girlfriend & I went fishing for springs (chiniook) and caught a few:thumbup:.

Cranberry2010021.jpg

ram2010014.jpg

ram2010009.jpg

I have never caught salmon. Those are beautiful!

Excellent!!

I would love to go after those big Salmon one day.

Then you should probably fly out since its a long, long, long drive from Connecticut:p!

Heading out for sockeye this weekend if all goes well.......

I am seriously jealous!!!
I was home last week and salmon season started on the first. The salmon haven't arrived yet. Some seals are staring to come up river and that is generally a sign that the fish are here but I am now 2,000 miles away.
Great pics.

Ya better call me up for that Mack! Catching salmon in a river is on my bucket list.

Ya better call me up for that Mack! Catching salmon in a river is on my bucket list.

I'll try to make plans for next year. Of course you are welcome to come up.:thumbup:

bruce are salmon strictly a fly rod situation or can they be caught on spinning gear? thanks dennis

Spinning gear or fly rod for most of the rivers here. The Babine Riber is the only one that I know of that is fly fishing only. Some rivers have bait bans certain times of the year.

that is generally a sign that the fish are here but I am now 2,000 miles away.

Protourist, sorry to hear you can't be where the salmon are this year......

Bruce

Last edited:
Nice Salmon. How are they to eat when they start to turn. I know the meat can get soft after they are in the river for awhile. Those look pretty fresh but is there a cut off for ediblity. I have caught a few river running salmon but mainly fish for them in the ocean.(when we are allowed). How far are you from the ocean? What type of lures were successful?

You seem to live in a sportsman's paradise.

Congrats Matt

Nice Salmon. How are they to eat when they start to turn. I know the meat can get soft after they are in the river for awhile. Those look pretty fresh but is there a cut off for ediblity. I have caught a few river running salmon but mainly fish for them in the ocean.(when we are allowed). How far are you from the ocean? What type of lures were successful?

You seem to live in a sportsman's paradise.

Congrats Matt

Yup, they were starting to get a bit ripe. They were still firm though and the meat was still good. As they get darker red and close to black they start getting soft. We were using roe. And yes, I live in a sportsman's paradise:p

Bruce

Back