Salt and Rescue series

Sal (or anyone else in the know),

Any chance of these being released with E4/D4 type construction? I love the properties of H1 but also love the construction of my E4 and D4.

Thanks,
Adam

They've probably kept the old handle construction to keep production costs down. The current Atlantic and Tasman Salt's handles are identical to the Delica 3, and the Pacific Salt is identical to the Endura 3. The Atlantic Salt isn't identical to the Rescue, but it's close. I don't own a Saver Salt, or a 79mm Rescue, so I don't know if those handles use the same mold or not.

The difference other than the FRN handle couture between the Gen3 and Gen4 Delica/Endura is the nested, partial steel liners within the handles. This both stiffens the knife, and opens the option for tip-down carry. However, if this were to be implemented into the Salt series, either H1 or titanium would have to be used for the liners to keep things corrosion-free like all the rest of the metallic components of the Salts.

If this were to happen, the end-user cost for a Salt series knife would likely end up in the $70-90 range rather than the $55-65 range. That said, I'd buy a new Tasman Salt in a heartbeat if they included nested Ti liners and a pocket clip that wasn't so susceptible to deforming the handle, even if it cost as much as $90. But I doubt the majority of people would, and I'm guessing that Spyderco wants to keep this part of the Salt line as close in price to the Delica/Endura/Rescue models as possible.

Back