San Fran w Burrows Sheath

Mark Williams

Here's the sheath that Chuck Burrows of Wild Rose Trading Company came up with for my little knife. I love it.

sanfranknife-sheath-1.jpg

sanfranknife-sheath-2.jpg

Raymond Richard said:
Mark, nice package! How's the sheath held together?

We'll have to get Chuck to answer any sheath questions.

Hidden magic is my guess. Sure is purty. Deb cant wait to see it in person. Thanks UB#1

Ray - it's put together using a technique called hidden stitching although this is actually "half-hidden" stitching since the stitching can be seen from the backside. Too hard to explain the whole process here but you cut a slit in the edge of the leather at a 45 angle and then use a curved awl and needle to sew with. After sewing you glue the slit back together (carefully :D). Simple really - just painstaking and pretty easy to mess up so I don't do it very often.

You're welcome UB 2.

The knife by the way is a real cutey - only about 3 oz's (the sheath weighs more!) and razor sharp.

"The Art of Handsewing Leather" by Al Stohlman (available form Tandy/leather Factory) shows how to the stitch plus a bunch more interesting stuff. The hidden stitch was traditionally used on the side seam of dice cup so it wouldn't leave a "rough" seam that would rub against ones hand..

Back