San Mai Damascus Dagger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello everybody!
Just finished.

Blade: Robert Calcinore San Mai Damascus heat colored with Brownells Nitre Blue salts.
Dimensions 9" x 25/32" x 7/32"
Overall length: 14"

Handle:
Mammoth ivory
Sterling silver
14K gold
Garnets
Freshwater pearls

Any comments/critique/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking
Vlad

www.kolenko.com

33533669691_6374089dc3_b.jpg

incredible piece, Vlad!

My goodness Vlad. You are the Michelangelo of pig stickers. May I ask, since I'm not into the manufacturing side of blades -- just an end user, how many man hours and monetary expense in materials was this venture?

Thank you all for your kind words!
It's difficult to estimate how many hours exactly it took me to make this dagger. It usually takes me about a month or so to make a knife. However, it's not a full time job. I typically spend 2-3 hours almost every evening in my shop/studio on weekdays and half a day or so on weekends (unless my wife drags me out shopping). The materials cost about $600.

Vlad, to my mind this is your best ever work. I agree it needs a stand to display this piece, it's far too nice to be covered up to be appreciated.

Superior work my friend....I've still got one of the very first you made, ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Much appreciated! Half of the credit for the dagger should go to Robert Calcinore.
I need to come up with a design for a stand.

Vlad, the way you incorporate jewelry techniques and materials into your knives (especially the filigreed ones) is part of the inspiration got me started taking jewelry classes at the local university. I may not ever reach your level as a metalsmith/jeweler (or I might?) but regardless, I'll be making better knives in part because of you.

Please look at dates before you post, this thread is four years old.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back