sandblasting question

Hi i have a few questions about sandblasting. The knife that will be blasted is a BM nimravus 141. My first question is will the sandblasting mess up the blade edge? the reason i ask is because i only have minimal sharpening talent and dont know if i could reprofile the blade with my sharpmaker. My second question, is does it matter weather i have it bead blasted or sandblasted?

thanks for any help.

sandblasting is like wind.. there's various amounts.

first, you don't use big ol' swimming pool type blasters.

2nd, you don't use coarse sand. What you want is ashtray sand, the superfine pure white stuff that used to be in fancy office building ashtrays.

3rd, yes, it will likely ruin the edge unless you're using a teeny little blaster and maybe tape the edge with some serious tape or coat it in wax, vinyl coating, etc.

So beadblasting is easier, all the way around, as it's less critical and less abrasive. However.. you get polish, not matte or satin finish, with beads.

And it'll likely still dull the edge a bit so go ahead with any tape or other protection you feel might work. I'd probably dip (just the edge) in melted beeswax or dop wax. (not having done it, don't take that for gospel, but it'd be my first thought).

Have sandblasted a lot of metal. Strongly suggest you waste a junk knife on the first effort, learn how much abrasion to expect and fine tune it.

Reprofiling isn't going to be necessary (likely), abrasion isn't that much. Resharpening is.

If you don't get any advice from someone knows the topic, my guesses are good as anybodys. Not sure there's many experts on this particular question, figuring that your equipment & knife & intent combine to a unique issue.

Practice on something you don't love. :eek:

Back