Sandrin Torino on-going EDC Review

Hey everyone,

I've got a little on-going EDC review of the Sandrin Torino over on the Spyderco Forums. Thought I'd share it here for anyone who might be interested:

(Since I have been updating it over the past several months , I can't really move the whole past discussion over here.)

If anyone has any questions or suggestions about the knife or review, feel free to post here. I'll be watching this thread, and I'll also cross-post any new updates here as well as on the Spyderco Forum.

I know I'm impressed with mine, I've taken it down WAY thinner than stock with no issues. Slices boxes for daaaaaaaaaaaays😎

I know I'm impressed with mine, I've taken it down WAY thinner than stock with no issues. Slices boxes for daaaaaaaaaaaays😎
I saw the one photo of what you did. Wouldn't mind seeing more! :cool: What did you use and how much did you lower the angle?

They're such great little knives, fun to own and carry and use!

I saw the one photo of what you did. Wouldn't mind seeing more! :cool: What did you use and how much did you lower the angle?

They're such great little knives, fun to own and carry and use!
Basically I took it down to zero edge...that turned out to be a bit much as I did get some dulling after a bit of cardboard. I've since applied the tiniest hint of microbevel at ~30° with a DMT extra fine and it seems to be holding well. I'm actually going to send it off tomorrow for The Aflac Duck The Aflac Duck to check out...he might weigh in here as well after he's had some time with it😊

Screenshot_20210611-195038_Gallery~2.jpg

Excellent review! Seems like Sandrin's cemented carbide can be a pretty viable option for EDC.

What was your process and what did you use to polish the flats?

Excellent review! Seems like Sandrin's cemented carbide can be a pretty viable option for EDC.

What was your process and what did you use to polish the flats?
Thank you!
I used the same lapping film I use to sharpen it - 30, 9, and 3 micron diamond film from Jende Industries, mounted on their acrylic blanks for Edge Pro/Hapstone. That stuff abrades very nicely. I just took the blade out, removed the thumbstuds, and worked it back and forth by hand, flat against the stones.

Thank you!
I used the same lapping film I use to sharpen it - 30, 9, and 3 micron diamond film from Jende Industries, mounted on their acrylic blanks for Edge Pro/Hapstone. That stuff abrades very nicely. I just took the blade out, removed the thumbstuds, and worked it back and forth by hand, flat against the stones.

That was way simpler than I expected, thanks for the info! Really impressive how well the lapping films worked on that material. I will have to try that out (another excuse for me to get some lapping film).

Back