Sanu's YCS field report

I just picked up my YCS which had been waiting a week for me to return from honeymoon. After seeing all the posts about the Kesar-C-S, I was a little worried (just for that knife, not the experience in general since I knew Uncle Bill would make it right if need be). But I did breathe a sigh of relief when I opened the package and saw Sanu's cross.

Anyways, on first impressions it is one hell of a knife and my hat is off to Yvsa, Sanu, and the crew at BirGorkha. I was surprised at the size, especially the thickness, but it truly does handle like a much lighter knife. Very good motion and "pointability". The silver fittings and handle are excellent. The blade has the best finish of all my khuks, and a few light ripple marks for character. The brass inlays in the sword of Shiva are nice, my first knife with those. The awl is an amazing piece of work and razor sharp tip!

The inlays are great, except at two spots on the diamond ones where the tips seem to have broken off, and been replaced by a reddish epoxy which does not perfectly match the wood. It could just be excessive rouge (the kardas were practically dripping with it) but I don't think so. Also the inlay of the yin/yang on one of the kardas is very thin and almost translucent.

Originally I had been looking for a plain YCS in order to try its well-reputed properties in the field, but Uncle Bill having smoothly steered me towards the full-on version, I now have an excellent candidate for a display that I would be proud of. I think I will attempt a nice frame as bobrap showed a few months ago. I know that like even the kothimodas, it is amazing to look at but ready to take on all comers!

YCS.jpg

Sandu does it right and it looks like he listened and made a sharp awl rather than one like the broken wood model.

Back