SAR Seax

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello all,

I was recently contacted by a policeman down on the Texas coast who was in search of a certain sort of blade for use during search and rescue (SAR) activities. After a hurricane, he ended up carrying around some sort of prybar as well as a machete as the SAR folks went into torn-up areas to check on (and rescue) people. What he was looking for is a giant seax that can be used as a machete AND used to pry, clear, and breach...as also be light in weight, as he must carry around a bunch of equipment, including a folding stretcher.

Well that just so happens to be a major part of my philosophy in blade-making! Cut, pry, smash through walls, chop, split, fight, etc, all in one tough, light weight, easy to use big blade.

The parameters given were an 18" blade, and 8" handle, made of titanium alloy, and more or less carte blanche otherwise. It's a bit of a tester/prototype, and here it is. Behold, the SAR seax!

bzHOWCL.jpg

Made in my typical style, out of Grade 38 titanium alloy.

osuzyIB.jpg

I was able to retain the heat treatment "alpha case" and oxide surface, which is slippery and very hard, and resistant to scratches. I don't often get to do so, and it's one of my favorite things to pull off. The surface is gray and shiny with some trout-like iridescence.

x5MV5vx.jpg

It has a stiff diamond-like cross section through the length, from bow to stern.

c89jgo2.jpg

2hyiTsU.jpg

And a wedge-like angled tip to weasel through things or puncture.

GDBHG5M.jpg

8hc35rf.jpg

Should pry things nicely, like a fancy flat bar. Certainly it will cut.

ZqYLk7d.jpg

Lastly, Ms. Oye made a simple flat leather carrying case to strap/lash onto the pack next to the stretcher and other equipment.

kPPjyEA.jpg

Hopefully this SAR seax will prove to be a useful tool the next time disaster inevitably strikes, and the officer gets to take a Search and Rescue break from tweaker-wrangling or whatever crazy horseshit he normally gets roped into every day. :D

While I think this is awesome and I admire what you’ve done, I think this is a big safety risk. 50% of people saved will be men statistically speaking, and they’ll all want to talk to him about this Uber cool rescue tool, which will slow him down. :D

In seriousness, great work, well thought out

Red

HA! Thanks Dago Red. The blade was mainly an attempt to make what he described. Simply put, it is a tool to get stuff out of his way.

Last edited:
Man that thing is Awesome I'd like to bash some stuff myself with that brute. Nice work I'm sure the new owner will be impressed as well. I'm wondering though if your anvil keeps trying to escape though being all bound up with chains. :D

I love the concept and the blade shape! Also the shaping of the bevels is super cool! Ultra modern mixed with two traditional styles :)

Looks like the handle got a few extra wraps...nice and beefy. Should be able to hold on tight swinging that piece.

Thanks everyone, you're being too nice, imo. I hope it's as well-received when it gets to Texas, and that it not only proves useful, but also scores the owner some cool points among his peers. :D The cool points are important! o_O

Sweeeeet! Love the diamond profile. How much did it end up weighing?

More than expected, at 1 lb 4 oz. since the thing is fairly thick for use as a prybar. The weight is distributed pretty evenly, though, and with a balance point exactly where it looks like on the little copper stand. But it's gotta weigh less than a machete and crowbar thing combined.

now that's rescue tool ! :thumbsup:

Ya! Thinking about it more, it really is a get this obstacle out of my way sort of thing. Something's in the way, and it helps to fix that. But more importantly, nothing says "I'm here to help" quite like a gigantic seax. :p

Very cool project, well executed, that I missed seeing the first time.

Thanks Storm Crow.

I did get a report back about the SAR Seax. What happened was, everyone in the department wanted it and they all started stealing it back and forth from each other, like a running gag. Not sure how it worked as a pry-blade in the field. :D

Back