Satchel, first impressions

I ordered a large satchel in dark coffee brown from SBL a week ago this last Thursday. It showed up yesterday, so it was a total of 8 days between order and delivery. Not bad.

Today I managed to spend some time fooling around with the bag, taking pictures, etc. Here's my first impressions of the bag.

IMG_4520.jpg

As almost everyone else will mention when they get the bag, it is very well made, a bit on the heavy side, and stiff. I expected that, so I won't elaborate on points that almost everyone talks about.

One of the things that I really want from this bag is the ability to carry a water bottle. SBL indicates that there's water bottle pockets on the outside of the bag, but I couldn't find out how big they are, exactly.

IMG_4510.jpg

Well, on the large satchel the pocket is just large enough to hold the 18 oz Kleen Kanteen with the sport cap. This is the bottle that I usually carry around with me, so I was relieved to find that it fits.

IMG_4514.jpg

Note that the bottle is a little tight in the pocket, but I expect that as the leather loosens up it should fit perfectly. As it is, I don't have to worry about the bottle falling out of the pocket. On the other hand, the pocket won't fit a larger bottle, so if you prefer to carry more water than 18 oz at a time, you will probably need to carry the bottle inside your bag, or get a different bag.

Also, there are slim pockets on the inside sides of the bag, but with the water bottle on in the pocket, the pocket on that side of the bag is pretty much useless except for something really thin (you might be able to get a credit card or something in there).

IMG_4515.jpg

IMG_4516.jpg

Something that surprised me about the bag is that the divider inside the bag naturally forms to the shape that you'll see on the SBL site. I thought that it was like most dividers and that it would be straight across the bag. But, no, it naturally wants to form out to the middle of the bag.

IMG_4517.jpg

There's plenty of room in that "compartment" for an iPad or (in my case) a Kindle 2 inside a case.

IMG_4518.jpg

The bag is more than tall enough to stand the Kindle up in the pocket, if you want to set something else along side of it.

IMG_4527.jpg

As you can see in the above pictures, I also have a flashlight placed inside the end pocket of the bag (I was just trying the fit of things). This is actually a Surefire U2 Ultra, which is largish double CR2 flashlight. It fits well inside the pocket, although I don't think I'll ultimately use the pocket for that. I also tried my wallet (a non-descript bi-fold that I got 15 years ago and which is still going strong) in the pocket, and that works too, although it's kind of annoying to try to get the wallet back out of there. Later, after I took these pictures, I found out that a small moleskine notebook fits perfectly in that pocket. I usually carry one of those around, so that's what I'll be putting in that pocket.

One of the things that I'll be doing from time to time with this bag is carrying around a DSLR. I have a Canon 20D, and the lens that I usually use is a 24-70L. That's a fairly large lens. Fortunately the bag is long enough to hold both camera and lens, if I take the lens hood off. However, I was surprised to find that the bag isn't quite wide enough to fit the camera without deforming a bit.

IMG_0403.jpg

It helps to make sure the interior pocket is empty at the widest part of the camera. Do that and it fits a lot better.

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

Here's the bag closed, with the camera and everything else in there. It isn't causally obvious that the thing is loaded with a heavy, bulky camera.

IMG_0407.jpg

One of the other questions was about the handle on the satchel. Apparently the handle on the SBL briefcase is pretty tight to the bag, which raised the question of whether the satchel is made the same way. I don't have the briefcase, but I can say that the satchel's handle is built properly. I have medium sized hands and my hand fits between the satchel and the handle with no problems at all. I believe someone with large hands would also not have a problem.

IMG_0409.jpg

My only real complaint about the bag are the shoulder pads on the straps. I carried the bag to dinner tonight, and I found that if I carried it over my shoulder the shoulder pad was comfortable enough. However, if I carried the bag bandolier style, then the shoulder pads dig in uncomfortably. I usually carry my bags bandolier style, so my guess is that I'll eventually take the pads off the bag. But that's just a guess. If I was going to carry the bag backpack style, I suspect I'd want the pads. Also, the pads might also eventually loosen up with time and sweat. Anyway, it's something to keep playing with.

By the way, people aren't kidding when they say these bags scuff up easily. Just from this little bit of experimentation, the outside of the bag picked up a fair number of scratches.

IMG_4529.jpg

That said, I welcome the scuff marks. Right now the bag is too nice, almost professional looking. It needs to get a bit beat up and disreputable looking before I'll be happy with it on a stylistic level. But that's just a function of time, sweat and abuse -- something that I'm looking forward to inflicting on the bag.

We'll see if it's really a 100 year bag. :D

Bottom line: this is a sweet bag that should be able to take whatever I throw at it, and just keep looking better and better as I do it. I'm glad I bought the bag. For me, it's money well spent.

IMG_4505.jpg

Are you glad you went with the large size? I've never found myself wishing my large satchel were smaller, but once or twice I've wanted it a little larger like a horizontal messenger bag. But for the most part, I'm happy with the size.

The leather scuffs easily, but I've noticed that as the leather has worn and broken in the surface doesn't show the fingernal scuffs much now because the whole surface is patina'd up.

IMG_0032.jpg

My bag is getting a bit softened up, but that inside divider is still very stiff. It's got something inside of it to make it hold the shape I believe. The shoulder pad (I took the second one off and stuck it in a drawer, I don't use the backpack mode because it doesn't fit me comfortably) does take your shape with wear, but mine hasn't gotten much softer to this point.

Are you glad you went with the large size?

I'm still ambivalent on the larger size. Just at first look, the bag seems too large for EDC use. It's kind of a strange in-between size. If I was going to an office it would be too small because it won't hold my 15" Macbook laptop. Yet for the kind of casual walking around that I do where I don't need a laptop, it feels huge. I'm using this bag to replace a Maxpedition Lunada which is considerably smaller than this bag, so I think my issue is just that I'm not used to carrying around that large of a bag. But then again the Lunada won't hold everything I want to carry, which is why I got the larger bag.

It's a change, that's for sure. Only time will tell if I'll get used to the larger size bag.

The other problem is that I now have enough room to carry my EDC stuff AND my kids' iPads. Of course, they've already noticed that I can carry their iPads around when we head out for a weekend. A couple of iPads can actually get heavy. Gotta squash that impulse, that's for sure.

My bag is getting a bit softened up, but that inside divider is still very stiff. It's got something inside of it to make it hold the shape I believe. The shoulder pad (I took the second one off and stuck it in a drawer, I don't use the backpack mode because it doesn't fit me comfortably) does take your shape with wear, but mine hasn't gotten much softer to this point.

Interesting about the shoulder pad. And that's a good idea to take the second one off. It's definitely unneeded unless you're going to actually use the thing in backpack mode.

Looks like a great bag, thanks for posting those pics and your comments.

I have a Kindle too, its amazing.

I've had my large briefcase for about a year and a half. The shoulder pad will conform some but never really becomes "soft." Personally I really like them but I also have pretty large shoulders.

Contrary to one or two mentions that I've seen about the handle on the briefcase mine has never given me problems at all and I have pretty thick and large hands.

My guess is that like my bag yours will continue to grow on you.

Skrapmetal: I will say that I haven't seen another Saddleback bag in Iowa yet until yours. I feel less exclusive now :)

Nice review, and tasty looking bag. I'm struggling with the feeling that I should have gotten one of these for my everyday bag and kept the briefcase as a travel bag, heh.

Thanks for the kind words on the review. By the way, I found out that if I shove both shoulder pads as close to the buckle on the shoulder strap as they will go, then when I wear the bag I have one pad against the back of my shoulder while the other one is on the front of my shoulder. That is, it effectively gives me a shoulder pad that is twice as long as one pad. This is very comfortable to wear, either over the shoulder or bandolier style. And it means that if I ever want to put the bag on as a backpack, I have both pads with me.

Just thought I'd point that out as a possible solution if anyone else finds the shoulder pads uncomfortable.

Can't comment on the large but I use the XL as a carry on or as a weekend bag to throw in enough clothes for a couple days along with all the necessities. I use the messenger bag as a day bag and find it to be the perfect size. Fits water, books, camera, web book etc......

Hey bulgron any new impressions now that you've had it over a year? How is it working out as an EDC?

I got to look one over closely today....a customer stopped by and he had one.....I don't doubt one bit that it's a 100 year bag.....a real beauty.

Back