Recommendation? Saw company for Becker

So, i have realized the need for a saw when out in the bush.. Toting just Beckers gets tiresome when processing firewood.
Have been eyeballing Silkysaws but theres so/to many to chose from. The "ultra exel.. something" maybee?
I 'll mainly use it for pine, spruce, birch and aspen...
DSC_0554_zpstayrb45x.jpg

I hear good things about the Silky.
I have a Bahco Laplander and it's been pretty good.

Silky makes Fantastic saws. I used to do tree work, and it was a go to hand saw for Many climbers who took their jobs as seriously as they should.
When you are 60'+ in the air, you want quality tools at your disposal. Silky was that choice for most in my area.

For camp and home use, I prefer the Gomboy 210 or 240, but I Really want to get the newer Gomboy Curve.
The blade shape will make cutting Much more efficient.

The Bahco, and the straight Gomboys cut nicely, but I prefer a curved blade. As you cut the limbs, the curve will wrap and bite into the far edge at the end of your pull. This will aid in stopping the limb from peeling (if you don't undercut), as well as creating a curved leading edge of the cut which tends to catch the saw less than a sharp transition on the pull stroke.

Mind you, this can be reduced by cutting at an angle down at the leading edge of the cut, but why do that when you don't need to...

I'm leaning towards something in the 24cm class bladewice.
Curved blade is nice... Have one of those bigger "pruningsaws" that attaches to a long pole when clearing branches around huntingstands.
Curved gomboy or ultra eccel?

Silky or Sven for me. I've tried most of the folding saws available today, Wicked Tree Gear, Browning, Bahco, Fiskars, Corona, and none of them compare to a Silky or Sven. Especially when it comes to harvesting a lot of deadfall in the winter, so my wife and I can stay warm!

Here is a comparison between the two of them I posted in the Survive forums:

http://bladeforums.com/threads/silky-saws.1468513/page-2

The Sven-saw is not an option, hate "bowsaws".. Dont ask why :eek:
?
Well then, ordered a silky just now. Got a family campingtrip in the Kilsbergen(Wedgemountains) coming up soon :thumbsup:.

I use a Bahco Laplander, but the Silky saws I've seen used by compatriots have been a tad nicer in the length department.

Hmmm... I strap an old 18 inch hardware store bowsaw to the outside of my pack. It is light and foolproof and replacement blades are cheap and light.

I am gonna pick up a Filzer Buckster Bow Saw next. It is the new version of the discoed Sawvivor.

I have messed up the blades on a few folding saws and the Silky blades are really expensive. I am also a friction fire fan so carrying a bow saw gives you an already made bow. :)

Friction fire is in a league lightyears away from my skillevel but sure will get ya warm..

Another vote for Silky. The Silky Bigboy 2000 always rides in the truck. Frighteningly efficient!

I got the Bahco Laplander as a gift a couple years ago. It is a great saw in a small package. Affordable, light, compact, and effective, it tends to get the job done and is great for backpacking. I can throw it in my pack or a pocket and forget it is there until I need it.

Now that being said, there are certainly better saws if you plan on doing a lot more wood processing. A buddy of mine simply takes bow saw blades and then makes a frame for them in the bush, seems to work out pretty well.

Just bought a Silky 240 ultra accel.
hope it works just as well as its price :eek:

i have a few saws being what you might obsessed as a hobby with arborism :> also asks...

the silky folding saws rock for travel (camping) and living in the car, but really aren't ideal for fast deployment and stow, which is more typical when you are in a tree, or feeding things to a chipper, or other smaller chores... avoid the longer ones, the big boy is almost too long. it flexes and you lose efficiency. it's JUST a TAD too long.

for that, you want the silky saws that are fixed blades, that have a sheath, that live on a belt, or mount on your lower leg

google "silky zubat". they come in a few shapes and sizes. good stuff.

as well, there are pole saws... up to 35 footers. pretty hot. love mine. similar blades to silky.

just recently bought a cheap modern single person bucksaw. needs tuning. works okay.

for wood processing at camp, the 30 inch Bahco with hardwood blade cannot be beat, pending a chain saw. very thin kerf, very efficient. will beat nearly any saw or axe, pending an expert user with specialty gear. also less loss of materials.

there's also a mini Bahco, which can also use hacksaw blades. that's AWESOME in a survival blade. get a couple metal blades, a carbide blade, some green and hardwood blades, and oh boy. you can do things. sure, you can get a folding frame type, but they are actually heavier and more bulky imho.

I'm satisfied with the Laplander.
Haven't tried the others. I use it at work a lot clearing brush and digging roots.

I was set at purchasing the lapplander but since everyone seems to rave about silkys... Have to try one..

Have had several different saws over the years. Ordered a Silky Pro Bigboy a month or so ago. Wife and I are out cutting and thinning trees as is common on our large wooded property when she sees the new Bigboy. At first she says, 'why'd you buy that we have several saws'? I just handed it too her and told her to try it. Told her it only cuts when you pull. She started on a 2-3" oak limb and cut it in something like 4 or 5 pulls. I told her I'd take over but she said, 'no, I've got it, this is easy now.' ...'nough said.

Back