saw Shaun of the Dead last night

friggin awesome. Laugh out loud funny plus it was a pretty good zombie flick. Go see it, you wont be sorry. What else you gonna see, Wimbledon? :barf:

Frank

What a nice little Indie film!

Shaun and his crew are such a resourceful bunch of Brits, what with their corrupt dictatorship of a government totally disarming them and rendering them basically defenseless against the zombie plague. Cricket bats, shovels, golf clubs and pool cues become the weapons du jour in post-Modern England when the living-dead $hit hits the living-dead fan.

In what is probably the funniest scene in the film, Shaun and his best buddy Ed-- forever sporting his well-worn and grimy tee-shirt "I got Wood"-- try assaulting a pair of zombies after hearing on the "telly" that their brains need to be attacked. They confront the zombies with a laundry basket of various household items, such as a toaster, a corner wall shelf, a piece of pottery, and begin throwing them at the heads of the two undead in a futile attempt to kill them. It was hilarious.

This clever scene served as both gross parody and a critical statement of the current condition of England's totally absurd arms control policies. I'm surprised merry ol England hasn't started removing teeth from its subjects' mouths yet. Teeth can be dangerous, you know.

Later in the film, Shaun, Ed and his companions are rewarded for their perseverance by finding an actual, working lever-action rifle at their favorite pub, The Winchester. (A perfect American icon highlighted by the addition of its own appellation.) There's one Her Majesty hasn't stolen yet.

The film does utilize some quick-action photography and matches it with some rapid-fire dialogue. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And sometimes the accents are a little too thick.

Favorite line: "His ideas of a romantic nightspot and an impenetrable fortress are the same thing."

komondor said:
This clever scene served as both gross parody and a critical statement of the current condition of England's totally absurd arms control policies. I'm surprised merry ol England hasn't started removing teeth from its subjects' mouths yet. Teeth can be dangerous, you know.

Later in the film, Shaun, Ed and his companions are rewarded for their perseverance by finding an actual, working lever-action rifle at their favorite pub, The Winchester. (A perfect American icon highlighted by the addition of its own appellation.) There's one Her Majesty hasn't stolen yet.

Don't you think you're over analysing the zombie film a wee bit? You can still own rifles here in the UK you know. Handguns are banned though. Somehow i don't think the director was thinking that deep about the arms control policy.

Both Edgar Wright (director) and Simon Pegg (Shaun) are going to cameo in the new Romero movie, Land of the Dead. I hope that will be an awesome movie. I think we're seriously lacking in good classic horror now.

My favourite scene from Shaun of the Dead was when they tried imitating the zombies to get into the pub and how they were coached to do it.

It's a terrific film.

If you liked the two main characters, I can highly recommend their comedy series Spaced.

Several of the other actors were in another excellent British comedy series, Black Books.

maximus otter

I put this movie in my NetFlix queue, but the status says "Long Wait". I suspect that they didn't order enough copies of it and have a higher-than-expected demand.

Back