Saying hi

Hello,

I wanted to tell a little bit about myself as I'm going to be around the place now :)

My name is Ruben Calo, I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and I've been making knives since 1993, after getting tired of office work.

I make my blades using the stock removal method and I design my own knives.

I'm friends with Ariel Salaverria and Nestor Benitez / tracer-san here (he made my new website)

Feel free to ask me any questions :)

Here are some knives I made:

Damascus Criollo Knife
Blade: 6.5" in damascus steel. Overall Length: 11" Integral with file work on the spine. Handle: polished axis deer with spacers in wood and alpaca metal. Pommel also in alpaca metal with a fleur de lys.

damascocriollo1_big.jpg

English Style Bowie
Blade: 10" in 5160, mirror finish. Overall Length: 15.5". Full flat tang with some file work on the spine near the guard. Handle: red deer stag slabs with engraved guard and pommel in alpaca metal.

englishbowie1_big.jpg

Medium Size Drop Point
Blade: 5" in N678, mirror finish. Overall Length: 9.5" Full flat tang. Handle: red deer stag slabs worked and dyed to look like mammoth ivory. Bolsters in alpaca metal.

stagivorydrop1_big.jpg

Filed Drop Point
7" overall lenght. Filed blade in 440C. Handle in ebony with alpaca metal bolsters.

fileddroppoint1_big.jpg

Filed Mediterranean Dagger
11" overall lenght. Integral damascus blade. Handle in ebony with ivory bolster. Sheath in cow leather and alpaca metal.

criollotrabajado1_big.jpg

Boot Dagger
4" overall lenght. Blade in N678. Handle in polished axis deer stag and sterling silver. Heart shaped onix stone in both sides. Carved presentation wooden box.

bootdagger1_big.jpg

Damascus Fighter
11.5" overall lenght. Blade in damascus from the distribution chain of my beloved '80 Ford Mustang. Handle in anchico wood (Parapiptadenia rigida) with leather spacers. Filed guard and pommel in bronze.

damascusmustang1_big.jpg

Regards,

Ruben

Welcome to BladeForums, Ruben.

The Sheffield style bowie looks great, but that damascus fighter is absolutely outstanding.

Welcome:D
Let me say I am impressed there are many here you put to shame with your talent...Myself included.
Very nice work and hope you are able to make it to Blade show in Atlanta 2005

Excellent work! I really like the "Mustang" knife and the boot dagger, as well as the Mediterranean one. The Criollo's handle is also very beautiful. And the wooden boxes are a nice touch!

Thank you for the welcome!

On my website the Damascus Fighter appears on the gallery as sold, but I actually kept that one for myself, I'm never selling it :)

Here are some more pictures:

Regards,

Ruben

damascusdagger1_big.jpg

damascusdagger2_big.jpg

damascusdagger3_big.jpg

damascusdagger4_big.jpg

criolloalpaca.jpg

woodencriollo1_big.jpg

woodencriollo2_big.jpg

woodencriollo3_big.jpg

Nice knives, Ruben, and wellcome to the Forums!

Obrigado Ivan!

Tom, I try to make new designs everytime as I'd get bored soon if I'd have to make two of the same.
Plus this way, each customer know they have a unique piece :)

Regards,

Ruben

I just checked out Ruben's web site. He's got great prices on some really unique knives.

Back