Scabbard or Sheath?

So this is a point of terminology that I think many may disagree on. Over the years I have seen many different definitions presented from different dictionaries, encyclopedias, and sources other wise. Most dictionaries for instance might tell you that a scabbard is for a sword, dagger or an axe. And that a sheath is for a knife. But these same dictionaries won't make a clear distinction between a knife, large knife or a dagger.

Some would say based off the ambiguity of available definitions towards meaning (the word derivation being the only solid and known thing) that sheaths and scabbards are the same thing. That it is just down to a difference in word etymology. While both are longstanding in the English language scabbard is basically of french origin, and sheath of German origin. Sheath having entered the English language earlier. Others will give all sorts of qualifications for distinguishing a difference between the two. None of which (including my own) are authoritative or incredibly well evidenced from what I have seen. Personally I think that while there may not necessarily be a a significant difference between the meaning of the words. The way I personally have come to define both and delineate between them I find to be very useful for sake of clarity. And is as follows:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scabbard.
A Scabbard is a rigid container for a bladed and edged implement. It is often, though not necessarily, of multi-layer construction. An inner and outer layer. The outer layer protecting the implement from outside influences and the inner layer protecting the implement form the outer layer (both as an insulator and as providing a difference in hardness from the outer material). The inner layer also usually has a dual purpose of creating gas/fluid tight environment for the implement. Securing of the implement in the scabbard is usually based on gravity fed containment (relying primarily on an ideal range of orientation to keep the implement in the container). A Scabbard may have a secondary securing piece intended to prevent unintentional removal when the whole is outside the range of ideal orientation.

Sheath.
A sheath is flexible or semi-rigid container for a bladed and edged implement. It is often, though not necessarily, of single layer construction. Wherein the inside of the main body material is of a different treatment then the outside. Sheaths often allow gas/fluid to pass through them to some degree. Either because of the nature of the material used, by design of the container, or both. Securing of the implement in the Sheath is usually based on a friction fit (either points of close contact with the implement or full contact). A Sheath might not (but often does) have a secondary securing piece intended to prevent unintentional removal when the whole is outside the range of ideal orientation.

The differences.
Sheaths are often lighter and less bulky then scabbards of the same length and width. As well as easier to construct, maintain, and repair than scabbards are. However the added weight, complexity, and bulk of a scabbard comes with a greater level of long term protection for the implement. This tends to make sheaths better for tool application. Wherein a craftsman/laborer might be frequently maintaining the implement anyway as part of it's regular use. And can often have full control over the environmental conditions the whole will be exposed to. Therefore the sheath only needs to offer interim protection between maintenance and use.

However scabbards are typically better for weapon application. Wherein a soldier/warrior might need to transport the implement over long distances. With the whole's environmental treatment largely outside of their control or unpredictable. And where most of the time the implement will not be in use. More long term storage and less time for maintenance with only occasional usage, necessitates a higher preservation of initial condition of the implement. Given the nature of modern warfare and the greatly reduced likely hood that the common man is going to be involved in civil combat with a bladed and edged weapon.

Scabbards for practical purposes have largely fallen wayside. And are mostly seen when newly produced as part of reproduction or novel weapon offerings. Whereas sheaths have maintained their popular use. Not only through the constant and non-declining need to protect tools. But through lower manufacturing costs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that is my treatment of it. But I am curious to see what others think about the subject. Do you think that there is a difference between a sheath and a scabbard; Or do you think that they are interchangeable words for what is essentially the same thing? If you do think there is a difference; Would you agree with what I have put forward here as the definitions and differences? Do you partially agree but would change some things about it for your own espousal? Or do you have entirely different set of criterion/qualifications? Or if you don't have a fully formed opinion on it really...Has the interchangeable usage sometimes confused you? Do you ever find yourself using one word, then thinking about it and wondering if it would have been better to use the other?

Last edited:
I think that it comes down to a subtle difference in meaning. A sheath is simply a protective covering, particularly for elongated shapes. As such it's a blanket term, and not even limited to edged items. A scabbard, by contrast, is typically a term reserved for protective coverings of edged implements and weapons, with particular emphasis on rigid or semi-rigid coverings. A sword may have a scabbard, but you sheath the sword in its scabbard--you don't scabbard your sword. Generally speaking, both a sheath and scabbard cover all but the hilt or handle of a weapon or tool at a minimum (as compared to a mere mask, which is only responsible for covering the sharpened region.) A scabbard is a sheath, but a sheath may or may not be a scabbard.

Oh that's easy,
when it sounds best, while yammering on about all such things, when it sounds best to say scabbard say scabbard . . . kind of rough and roachy but when it sounds best to say sheath then say sheath . . . kind of smooth and shiny like.

examples :

Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.

“The pen is mightier than the sword unless it's a real sword in which case the guy with the pen should run away fast.”
― Roger Eschbacher

oops I couldn't resist that one

You're too sharp. That's your trouble. You're like a drawn sword. Sharp, naked without a sheath. You cut well. But good swords are kept in their sheaths.

The light shifted and swirled, and the swordsman materialized from the shadows. Gold and red emblazoned his tunic in a chevron against a cobalt background. The sword was back in its scabbard, strapped across his back. He was tall, with broad shoulders and dark hair, and he looked like Sebastian. Timed to the wind stirring the ivy outside, he vanished through the wall."

. "You're going to keep making these mistakes as long as you keep carrying your brain in the same scabbard with your sword, Lelldorin."

"I'll have peace on those terms," Lord Karstark said. "They can keep their red castle and their iron chair as well." He eased his longsword from its scabbard. "The King in the North!" he said, kneeling beside the Greatjon."

Knives have sheaths; swords have scabbards.
Rich
An interesting opinion. But I don't agree because that would be defining a thing not based on it's inherit attributes. Which is always a problematic way to define something. In this instance you would have to first strictly define the difference between a knife and sword. And this is something we have never been able to definitively do. But what is more of an issue applying this definition is if you have just the container absent the implement. For instance:

aCaXLe6.png

Does that belong to a large knife or a sword?

My definition might not be the most correct or agreeable. But it is more useful because I can apply it without seeing what this container goes to (by the definition I use this is a sheath).

Off to Sheathes and Such, since we are not talking about a specific knife.

Awww :( okay my bad for failing to search for the most appropriate place to post the thread. But if it were about a specific knife. Wouldn't it have just been sorted into a manufacturers forum likely? I mean "General Discussion" is kind of useless if it's main purpose is to be sorting forum for everything that is not "post a picture of your knife along side ___". I mean you could just have a themed pictures forum and not have a general discussion at all :p I kind of think the best and highest use of a "General Discussion" is as one stop for any topic (that would belong on a blade forum in general) of interest. And that sub-forums best and highest use is for archiving said threads after they have had the majority of discussion they will see on them. That's just my opinion though. It is of course your prerogative to sort as you see fit. Not trying to argue with your decision. Just wondering if another approach has been considered or not. And using the opportunity to give a little feedback on the current approach.

Just to through another monkey in the works.. :D

Why do we use holsters for "pistol sheaths" when we use scabbards for "rifle sheaths"? :D:D:

Just to through another monkey in the works.. :D

Why do we use holsters for "pistol sheaths" when we use scabbards for "rifle sheaths"? :D:D:

That is quite the monkey wrench, lol...all I know about that is that at one point they were called pommel bags (before side holsters were a thing). It could be that Holster was a brand name (or just what they were called wherever they were mostly made before export) for the fist ones that were not pommel bags and that it stuck for referencing anything like it generically. That is just speculation though.

I love the OP's definitions in the first post! Some arguments I'd never thought of before. Now off to ponder..... :D

Not sure where this came from, but its good here if enough people chime in on it. It's an idea that hasn't been talked about in a good while.

Thanks Rev!

I agree with Dwayne. The definitions as reprinted in the first post fit my personal criteria almost perfectly. The two terms, sheath and scabbard have been used synonymously on a regional basis for a long time.

Good post, good subject.

Paul

Always being one to follow rat-holes for no good reason, I spent some time digging through the internet...

One must remember that whenever referring to the origin of a word, there may be several languages in the associated etymological tree.

In a nut shell, this means that a given word may be similar to words in multiple languages and/or derive its modern day spelling/pronunciation from various languages. This is especially true when looking at a "modern English" word, as English has been variously called a polyglot language, the thief of language, the great language assimilator - English will steal/use/borrow/change any word it encounters if we find a use for it.

Many of the languages associated with English as being the etymological ancestors of words are themselves stubs of a common ancestor language.

Great Britain was raided and invaded by everyone - the Vikings, the Normans, the Romans, the Anglos, the Saxons. Heck, the Picts and Celts who were there when the Romans invaded were invaders themselves. Words came and went as what is not the English language developed, changed, matured.

From what I can dig out by looking at numerous online dictionaries,

Sheath "came into being" around the middle 900s and derives from words in Old English - sceath and Old Norse - skeithir, which basically mean a "cover".

Scabbard pops up in the mid-1200s to 1300s and comes from several possible sources (which also probably derived from a common language) --

Middle English scalburde, scauberge (compare Anglo-French escauberz, escauberge, Medieval Latin escauberca) ≪ dissimilated variant of Old High German *skārberga sword-protection

Scabbard boils down to meaning a "sheath for a sword or dagger", a "blade or dagger" , A "blade, sword, dagger, or other knife", depending on whose dictionary you believe.

If you look at the Old High German - "skārberga -- sword-protection" - this translation kinda point to scabbard coming from the word for a specialized sheath for swords and daggers, which back in the day were more like short swords than short stabbing knives.

So the meanings of "sheath" and "scabbard" might be "small knife sheath" and "big knife sheath".

@zzyzzogeton
That is some deep and detailed digging you have done there. Thanks for the contribution. It definitely seems like sheath is the older word. And that scabbard was adopted to refer to a sheath used for more combat oriented items (daggers and swords). But that would raise the question (for me at least) why would the people of the time feel the need to make such a distinction? Why not just still call them all sheaths if the only difference is what they are paired with? We already know that the difference between a knife and a sword can sometimes (and especially in antiquity) be a pretty blurry line. So I don't think what it was paired with being what defines it is adequate.

And I think a likely better answer to that would be that weapons are more specifically purposed then common bladed implements. And so it would be reasonable to expect that their containers are as well. And that enough differences in purpose creates differences in construction (form follows function). This would necessitate calling a weapons container something different from that of a common and more diverse use blade, as the two branches diverge more and more. A "big knife sheath" may not be different from a "small knife sheath" simply because of what it is made to be paired with. But for how differently constructed it is because of it's purpose. I think this is fairly supportive of the possible definitions (or something similar) that I put forward. In the way that it would suggest that there are physical characteristic differences (and likely treatment/usage differences due to that) between sheaths and scabbards. From there we only have to work on what those differences are (if we firstly can agree that they are significantly different).

Last edited:
Oh, I agree that different knives, swords, daggers would have had different terms. We do it even today. But don't get too wrapped around the axle over semantics. Below, in a highly unlikely conversation around 1250 A.D in what would currently be north eastern Germany, is the development of the word scabbard, in "pig-German". :D:D

First, I need to point out I am NOT a linguist or an antiquarian, so anything I say is just opinion based on a lot of reading. I am of Germanic heritage (Wendish, actually) but the amount of German I know would fit on less than a page of a very small spiral notebook. :D

But what I know of Germanic languages is that many Germanic are what I call "compound word constructions". Example - the English word "bat" (the small flying mammal, not the "ash ball beater"). In English, bat is a very small 3 letter word. Take the same animal in German - it is "fledermaus" which translates literally as "flying mouse".

German uses words that build on each other to describe the object being described, if that makes sense. They word for an item is itself a description of the item.

Let's take a hypothetical conversation that probably never existed except in my mind ---- :D

Hi Hans, Looks like you got a new sword there.

Yeah, Gretel. It's a beauty, isn't it? Adolf made it out of that sky rock that fell on Gerhardt's pig sty last week. His apprentice, Heinrich, was a mess by the time he dug that rock out of the pig shit.

I've heard that that stuff rusts if a bird flies over.

Yeah, it does, but Manfred the saddle maker made me this special "sword protection sheath" that's coated inside with hog lard made from the boar that the meteor killed.

Here endeth the rampant figment of my imagination.

If you take into account human nature (and soldiers in particular), long winded descriptions or names will ALWAYS be shortened

skārberga "scheed" or skārberga "scheide" (2 words for sheath - Low German and High German) would have been "sword protection sheath". Military folks shorten the descriptions of a lot of stuff, so skārberga scheide could have become just skārberga because OBVIOUSLY its a sheath "DUH", or whatever the Old German equivalent of "DUH" would have been. :D

And later, when Hans drifted west into what is now France, Pierre asked Hans

"Hey, that's a mighty fancy sword you have there what kind of sheath is that?"

"This old thing? It's a skārberga."

And since our hero Hans speaks French about as well as I do (meaning real poorly with a heavy Texan oops I mean Germanic accent) the good Old German word for "sword protection", skārberga gets butchered into the medieval Anglo-French equivalent - escauberge.

So there you have it - an exclusive rendition of Z's brain thinking on the edge of the box. :D:D

Okay...this assuming that you do not already know what this is and what it is used for (a blade from my collection).

wbn44Ux.jpg

What I would like you to do is guess at it (the nature of this blade) and tell me weather it's container is sheath or scabbard based on the assumption that being either is defined by what it is paired with. I would also like you to make another assessment of whether the container is a sheath or scabbard based on the characteristic definitions I purposed. Then I will tell you what this is (again assuming you don't already know, and if you do, well...just play along as if you did not. Because this is going towards a point).

When people ask what I am doing on the phone and I say "making Sheaths" they always say............ "Making Cheese ?"
Maybe I should say making Scabbards ?

But then they would probably think I was saying "making Cupboards" :)

I once had a customer get really upset when he wanted a knife "case" and I said I did not make cases only sheaths for knives.
Apparently in his country a " case " is a sheath.

I have noticed with some internationally customers especially that they use the term Scabbard more frequently.

Personally I have always thought;

Sheath = knife
Scabbard = sword

Ignoring the obvious question of "When does a knife become a sword?" :D

Would a "case" for a big knife or short sword be a Shebbard or a Sceath? :D:D

Back