Scam alert

Krav

Gold Member
I got a call Tuesday saying this is the social "security department" is this Krav? We found a car in Texas with drugs in it, no people but it's in your name and social security number is linked to the car and car info?

Then he went on to say, we are transferring you over to a government DEA agent?

Transferred - the guy said this is Keven Smith and I'm working on your case. Started all the questions, what cars do I own? When was the last time I left the state, and on and on.

So he says remember if you lie to me, I'll allow this arrest to go through, I'm trying to hold it off until tomorrow if you cooperate. Your facing 9 years right now unless you help us, if not your be locked up until we find the person who did this. I'm cross referencing everthing, so I might put you on hold now and then. Do not hang up. We are hear.

I laughed, said this is Bullpoop, that's insane. He says everything in your credit cards and bank accounts will be frozen and we will issue you another S.S. number so you can't tell anyone anything and you need to listen to me and go where I tell you go, now to your car. I said why? He said you have to get the money out of your accounts and put them on Google play cards? Everything will be frozen tonight, you will lose everything?

That was enough, I hung up and checked on line and found out about the scam. They where asking about savings accounts, IRAs, anything. Do not give out any more info, hang up and call them your self.

Posing as Government Official? I've never had that happen. Filed a report with the FTC, went to the sheriffs department. They said it's allways the same story, S.S. numbers, car found in Texas with drugs in it linked to your name. He said he's seeing more and more victims of this crime. People losing huge amounts of money. I said but how do they do it? Can't you track all this stuff? He said one method is, they get you to put money on the google play cards, you give him the info so he can reference it, they steal it, and it's a gift card so no we can't find that?

I told him I want to do something. He said they are gone, they are operating in another country with some good technology and they are very smart, and good at what they do. They have a lot of people doing this.

I now have lifelock and I'm also paying epifax to monitor all my info now. I ordered all new cards and changed all passwords just to be safe.

I reported two different numbers for "Phishing". These are the idiots trying to get my E-mail passwords all the time. They always "text message" me from a computer. It's illegal so I'm reporting any suspicious activity. I'm tired of it, protect yourself, be safe, tell your kids, and loved ones, these guys are ruthless pieces of crap.

The next day I'm receiving calls from "Jamaica". I Hang up and block those numbers ASAP.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2018/12/what-social-security-scam-sounds

Last edited:
Welcome to 2019 where everyone gets 20 calls a day from illegal calls from scammers. From Irs scammers to credit card scammers etc. I get minimal of 1 scammer call a day and sometimes up to 4.

The US government knows its a problem and isn't doing anything about it. And likely can't.

Alot of the scams are coming from India from the call centers that US companies use or have used for tech support. You can see alot of these scams on YouTube and some people even scamming the scammers back.

They make a lot of money doing this because alot of people don't know these are scams. I've even seen scams that get mailed out. And even people that go door to door trying to say they are someone they are not to scam.

The world is a dangerous place.

I don't even answer my phone anymore for unknown numbers because I get more scams than real calls. I tell everyone to leave a message or text before the call. Unless I have your number, or we schedule the call, no answer. It even happens on my company issued phone that has stupid amounts of security provisions for data.

I think it sucks more because to some of us it's blatantly a scam but it works on enough people that they make a lot of money at it.

This situation actually caused issues with a legit billing concern from a recent hospital visit. The hospital called saying we owe a bill and that we need to call, but they never mention their name, just that we owe something and to call back. Immediate red flag if you don't identify who you are. Generic things, like "police, IRS, mortgage loan company, etc" are red flags because real institutions are usually more specific, i.e. "Michigan state police (usually an office or location), IRS such and such division, actual name of a mortgage company, etc."

I treat everything as; if I didn’t initiate the contact, it’s a scam. The worst is the computer spoofed phone numbers. They can make any call show up as any number they want...even your own number.

It makes it difficult when you are legitimately waiting for a local call and answer. Blocking does no good as they are spoofed numbers.

Best action is just to reject as many calls as possible. If you answer you just get more as they know it’s a legit number.

I play them. Waste their time. Then ask why they run such stupid scams. Their response is usually a tirade of profanities that would make a sailor blush.

I usually say "This household has a policy of only speaking English," which typically offends them deeply, then I hang up.

I treat everything as; if I didn’t initiate the contact, it’s a scam. The worst is the computer spoofed phone numbers. They can make any call show up as any number they want...even your own number.

It makes it difficult when you are legitimately waiting for a local call and answer. Blocking does no good as they are spoofed numbers.

Best action is just to reject as many calls as possible. If you answer you just get more as they know it’s a legit number.
Only problem with that is when you get a legitimate call that's not in your phone book.

Luckily, my current phone (Google pixel 3 xl) picks up most of the scam/spam calls and blocks them from ringing.

The biggest scam around here is calls from your same area code and prefix. I've yet to meet a single person with same prefix as I have on my cell. Easy for me, but difficult for others. 70% or more of cells have a 224 area code in the north and northwestern Illinois area.

Reactions: Mo2
Whenever I get a call from a unknown number I never answer. If the caller is legitimately seeking me they will leave a message. When there is no message I figure it is a sales call or scam call. Then I block the number.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm a painting contractor, I advertise on the front page of Google in Chapel hill. It's simply for a scammer to get my business info. Sometimes I deal with people who own houses near me but live out of state.

I got off "Angies list" because it was a open free forum for solicitors to get people's info when they did away with the fee to join Angies list.

The technology they use , they can make it look like a call from chapel hill? Or any other town near me. For every customer that calls me, I get 5 calls from solicitors. So I usually don't answer the call. I call back to get on their "do not call" list. That's complete horse crap, never really gets me off their call list.

I've played with them, cursed them out, talked to supervisors, they never stop calling. It's always better for me, if my customers leave a message, I get back to them asap.

Smartphone sorts most of the scam/spam calls out for me, others I don't recognize/not in my call logs don't get picked up.
I'm a notorious hanger-upper anyway so after smelling a few lines of their BS they get a chuckle and a dead line.
Pretty much goes for everyone that wastes my time, I'm a grouchy SOB.

Has anyone received an obvious scam call from anyone who isn't speaking English as a second language, almost always with an Indian accent? Coupled with the odd number displayed on caller ID, or even event without that, you can be very highly confident you're talking to a criminal.

Has anyone received an obvious scam call from anyone who isn't speaking English as a second language, almost always with an Indian accent? Coupled with the odd number displayed on caller ID, or even event without that, you can be very highly confident you're talking to a criminal.

Happens all the time. The latest is that they are with MS technical support. I try and see how long I can keep them on the line while offending them. If they have an Indian accent, I tell them that I had a BBQ brisket last night, maybe it was your granny? She tasted great! Yes, a scammer calls my house, they are pretty much guaranteed to hang up on my while I laugh at them.

If you don't want to be as offensive as me, you can keep a whistle by your phone. Bet that sounds really nice in their earbuds. Probably illegal, but if they are from another country, one good turn deserves another.

I get one occasionally from someone with a Chinese sounding accent who want's to fix my "computah" because it has a virus. I also get one with a female voice that tells me that they have been unable to reach me and this will be the last time they will call. They call 2 or 3 times a week.

The most interest in call is just dial tone. Even if I answer, just dial tone. ???

I had one where I got put through to a call center.

Mind you, this is me, calling a customer service number to get some info, and complain.

Guy with very heavy Indian accent answers. I ask product question..... he tells me for the trouble , and because I have been a customer, I will receive a gift card pre loaded, for $100....

Seems weird, so I ask if they can just discount my bill...

He says no, they have to send me it on a pre paid visa....just give him som basic info....bank info, social security number info, credit card info... just to verify I am who I say I am....

Nope, nope, nope... tell him I don't want gift card.... certainly won't give him my banking info, or any other info....

He cold transfers me to another spammer...

I hang up, look at my bill, call the same number back..... get some one very professional. She transfers me to her supervisor. No heavy accents on either. American accents...

"We don't have any call centers anywhere but the US... no over seas call centers...... and we don't have any promotions like that. We would credit your account if we were to do anything."

Really weird.... because I called the same number both times??????

I just read about something called a one ring scam. Basically, it's a robo-call to your cell phone that rings only once. What the scammers want is for you to call them back. Then they keep you on hold for as long as they can while you are been charged for the minutes on a 900 or other foreign number. The FCC says, do not call back to a number that you do not recognize. That's only common sense, but smart phones tend to make people dumb.

Back