• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Scam attempt

Patrisage

Gold Member
Posted an "I'll take it" on a Siegle knife and almost immediately got the following email from "jmfrancis288@gmail.com" with the subject "Bill Seigle" to my personal email:

"Thanks, it is yours. $375 shipped. PayPal info is; Roselanderos8080@gmail.com
Send via friends and family. Also, shipping information.
Will get the shipping confirmation to you when I have it.
Thank you"

Fortunately, I know Bill's email and I checked my PMs to find his message with his correct email.

Early on I'd used my email publicly on this forum and scammers clearly know to look for that and try to get a quick payment with a direct email.
-NEVER use your email in a visible manner on posts
-ALWAYS confirm that the person you're sending $ to is the person in the listing!

So very glad to hear they didn’t fool you! I am not going to post my email here but believe me, ya’ll would know it was me I’m pretty sure. I know it doesn’t fit every member on Bladeforums but PMs appear to be the safest communication route currently.

So very glad to hear they didn’t fool you! I am not going to post my email here but believe me, ya’ll would know it was me I’m pretty sure. I know it doesn’t fit every member on Bladeforums but PMs appear to be the safest communication route currently.
But is your email not listed in your signature line?

Ha! So it it is! I’ve been using a phone for so many years I’d forgotten it was there! 🤪

Posted an "I'll take it" on a Siegle knife and almost immediately got the following email from "jmfrancis288@gmail.com" with the subject "Bill Seigle" to my personal email:

"Thanks, it is yours. $375 shipped. PayPal info is; Roselanderos8080@gmail.com
Send via friends and family. Also, shipping information.
Will get the shipping confirmation to you when I have it.
Thank you"

Fortunately, I know Bill's email and I checked my PMs to find his message with his correct email.

Early on I'd used my email publicly on this forum and scammers clearly know to look for that and try to get a quick payment with a direct email.
-NEVER use your email in a visible manner on posts
-ALWAYS confirm that the person you're sending $ to is the person in the listing!

I got that exact same message in an email yesterday too after I posted "i'll take it" on a knife... Same Paypal address but different email..

So...what's it gonna take for most folks to wake up and smell the coffee?

(Rhetorical question.)

This is getting ridiculous. I’ve started adding something like this to recent sales posts

Do NOT send funds to any request via email until we’ve established some dialogue first

I’ve also started accepting goods / services again ( 🤦‍♂️ ).

The amount of people that have been taken on a ride the past few months is insane.

This is getting ridiculous. I’ve started adding something like this to recent sales posts

Do NOT send funds to any request via email until we’ve established some dialogue first

The amount of people that have been taken on a ride the past few months is insane.
I like your idea, and hope that all buyers take heed.

I’ve seen that some sellers are locking their sales thread when they post them so you can only dm them on bf when you’re wanting to make a purchase. Besides G&S that seems like another good practice. Any thoughts?

I’ve seen that some sellers are locking their sales thread when they post them so you can only dm them on bf when you’re wanting to make a purchase. Besides G&S that seems like another good practice. Any thoughts?
For me, that is a practice that pre-dates my time here; but this sort of thing was a (small) part of that choice. The problem is that not enough of the people locking their ads are, including their email for registered members...so messages and email addresses are being left on profiles, maintaining the access for the scams.

I got scammed today because I didn’t take the time to read the banner. My fault.

So read the banner above.

I like that idea, I may need to do the same.

This is a must moving forward, great suggestion

Posting one scammer email address is a start, I guess. Glad you didn’t fall for it, OP.

I think we need a “gallery of shame” where we post a consolidated list of ALL the shitbags’ email addresses, names, forum handles, and anything else having to do with em.

Enough’s enough.

Posting one scammer email address is a start, I guess. Glad you didn’t fall for it, OP.

I think we need a “gallery of shame” where we post a consolidated list of ALL the shitbags’ email addresses, names, forum handles, and anything else having to do with em.

Enough’s enough.

🥇👍🥇👍🥇👍🥇👍🥇👍

Back