Scandi grind Framelock Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's one with more of a drop-point....less of a spear-point

and I made it a full 8" in length overall (opened).

attachment.php

KILLER!:thumbup:

not for a while I'm afraid....I won't be starting these probably until August/Sept at the soonest.

I'll probably open up a pre order list ahead of that to get an idea of handle materials.

I'm definitely using 3V on these.

Dan

And now with a striker tip:

attachment.php

boy oh boy does that striker tip look awful sexy. I am certainly in for one of these regardless of blade profile as long as its scandi and as long as its cpm 3v

Edited to add: my only comment is that the thumb stud seems awful close to the scale. it seems to me that it might be awful hard to access when opening the knife.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, guys. :thumbup:

The stud will be tall enough to get at, and the handle will be radiused and relieved around it to make engaging it easy yet unobtrusive.

Dan

burlap micarta would be awesome if I could get a reliable and consistent source. I'll start asking around. :thumbup:

Best way to catch the pre-order would be to sign up for my Mailing List (link below in my sig line).

Dan

O1 is definitely an option....it won't save any cost for pricing, but I would definitely consider it for those who prefer it.

Dan

Here's a quick data sheet showing relative toughness/wear-resistance of some steels I have used:
(info comes from Crucible MSDS Data sheets)

attachment.php

Attachments

• SteelAnalysis.gif
    SteelAnalysis.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,294
Playing devils advocate on the length, by the time you're at 8" OAL, you're dealing w/ a fairly bulky package folded. Weight savings over a fixed blade not so great, although you do get convenience. To my eyes, a 3" blade on a folder is handier.

Hey Dan,

That's an interesting chart.

What is the definition of toughness vs wear resistance?

I'm guessing that toughness is like not chipping or rolling and wear resistance is how fast it dulls?

The thumbstuds / stop pins look on the small side.

Other then that, definitely interesting.

I love the performance of the 3V, you can't go wrong there. A folding Bushcrafter would be a big :thumbup:.

Playing devils advocate on the length, by the time you're at 8" OAL, you're dealing w/ a fairly bulky package folded. Weight savings over a fixed blade not so great, although you do get convenience. To my eyes, a 3" blade on a folder is handier.

I agree with this. Once a folder gets to this size I, personally, would rather carry a fixed blade. I love 3" folders or a little bit larger. I might suggest utilizing a 3.25-3.3" blade length. I think this would make both the 3" and 3.5" guys happy.

You definately have my attention on this one Dan, I'll be watching my email for the preorder when it does come. I really like the penetrator tip that you have drawn out, it looks very useful. I do however greatly prefer the spear point that you drew up originally. I like the tip to be a little lower on my folders, especially a bushcraft-esqe folder such as this one. I find it makes a much better woodworker/whittler with the tip being more inline with the pivot or, ideally, a tad lower.

I also really love how you will be incorporating the thumbstuds as the stop pins. Like you said, this makes the knife feel much more solid and basically eliminates side to side play. Looks excellent!

I'd be in for one of these for sure.

3v would be a good steel for this - 3.5" max blade length - straight spine or just a slight drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back