Scars/hcs

Is anyone familiar with the SCARS/HCS system...I have a set of the videos but would like to know about the actual training. Also, interested in the SAFTA system... and its training and practicality.

There has been much written about these two "scientific" fighting systems. Do a search on these forums. I have seen and practiced a lot of the SCARS techniques. Like everything else about training I adapt what I believe is going to be useful to myself and loved-ones. Some of their moves are far to complicated for the street.
As for SAFTA, developed by Lew Hicks, what I know about this system is from the SCARS crew. This is what I have been told. Mr. Hicks was a level on instructor for Jerry Peterson and the SCARS system. He can be seen on one of the tapes put out by SCARS, being used by Mr. Peterson as a training doll. He put out a reformated version of SCARS called SAFTA. I have never seen the SAFTA tapes. Visit the SCARS website www.scars.com for more information as to how Mr. Hicks fit into their organization.
Hopefully, Mr. Caracci can comment more fully on this topic as Mr. Hicks tapes and Mr. Caracci's tapes are both produced by LOTI. I hope this helps. Like I said before, keep an open mind, cross-train and take what is appropriate for yourself and loved ones.
Peter

I train in Kung Fu San Soo. I have been to Peterson's 3 day class. Save your money. Peterson's SCARS is nothing more than San Soo with a new name. The stuff on the tapes and what was taught at the class is about green belt level material. Peterson trained in San Soo under Master Bill Hulsey who still has a school in Bellflower, CA.
He went on to get his masters from Jimmy H.Woo. Peterson then moved to San Diego, opened a school of his own where he meet Lew Hicks and was able to sell the Navy his SCARS system.

If you can, find someone to train you in San Soo. You will learn more for far less. That's my opinion based on my experience.

Mike D

I train in Kung Fu San Soo. I have been to Peterson's 3 day class. Save your money. Peterson's SCARS is nothing more than San Soo with a new name. The stuff on the tapes and what was taught at the class is about green belt level material. Peterson trained in San Soo under Master Bill Hulsey who still has a school in Bellflower, CA.
He went on to get his masters from Jimmy H.Woo. Peterson then moved to San Diego, opened a school of his own where he meet Lew Hicks and was able to sell the Navy his SCARS system.

If you can, find someone to train you in San Soo. You will learn more for far less. That's my opinion based on my experience.

Mike D

I've not seen the SCARS tapes, nor do I want to. I've seen SAFTA 1, and it doesn't begin to cut it. Why?

1) People differ in size, strength, clothing, and body composition (this goes for the GG as well as the BG), and the idea that the same strike to the same place will elicit the identical reaction regardless of who you're fighting is nonsense.

2) SAFTA puts you into McDojo-style deep stances which are highly stable and highly immobile, the last thing you want on the street.

3) SAFTA also likes to hit high-low or low-high, whipsawing the BG around the room. This is a fine approach in some circumstances, but when the BG's almost bent over backwards, why hit him to bring him forward again instead of piledriving his head backwards into the concrete?

SAFTA is the most egregious waste of $80 there is. Thankfully a friend loaned it to me to evaluate--the only hard thing was telling him afterward how badly he'd spent his money.

Back