School me on Case Classics.

Are they better made than non classic Case knives to justify the price or just more collectable?

Can you clarify a bit? What defines a classic? Do you mean vintage, or did you mean heritage as in models they have made for decades like a stockman as compared to a Tony Bose designed Tribal Lock?

,,,Mike in Canada

When Jim Parker purchased Case knives in the early 90’s to provide better quality knives at the time he went to Queen Cutlery to build the Classic line ...if I remember correctly about 80% were Queen made..
Surprisingly the line has always held and increased value amongst collectors don’t know why must be the “Classic” name.... but truly expect Queen/Blue Grass Winchester quality made knives from the same time frame.

Jim Parker bought Case Cutlery in 1988 and sold it in 1990 to avoid getting it caught up in the Cutlery World bankruptcy. But he kept several of the old Case trademarks and started using them to make the Case Classics series in the early 1990's. Queen made all but a handful of the patterns; Gunboat, Large 88 Congress, and Saddlehorn are the only ones I know for sure that Case Cutlery produced for Jim. They were the best knives made in the 1990's in my opinion. Prices were reasonable originally, but as their quality started getting recognized they started gradually increasing in value. It didn't hurt anything that the guy writing the price books was the same fellow producing the knives. So the price guide came out nearly before the knives themselves and the current price guides were paper inserts for the hardback book (and came fairly regularly). After Jim passed the values have not increased nearly so dramatically; but they are still very sought after.

Jim Parker bought Case Cutlery in 1988 and sold it in 1990 to avoid getting it caught up in the Cutlery World bankruptcy. But he kept several of the old Case trademarks and started using them to make the Case Classics series in the early 1990's. Queen made all but a handful of the patterns; Gunboat, Large 88 Congress, and Saddlehorn are the only ones I know for sure that Case Cutlery produced for Jim. They were the best knives made in the 1990's in my opinion. Prices were reasonable originally, but as their quality started getting recognized they started gradually increasing in value. It didn't hurt anything that the guy writing the price books was the same fellow producing the knives. So the price guide came out nearly before the knives themselves and the current price guides were paper inserts for the hardback book (and came fairly regularly). After Jim passed the values have not increased nearly so dramatically; but they are still very sought after.
Was the quality better than other Queen made knives from that time? Are they comparable to a Black Box Winchester from the 90's?

I'm fairly sure that at least some of the Case Classic patterns made by Queen were also produced with the Winchester name on them so yes they should be quite similar.

I used to collect the Case Classic Toenails. The only ones that had any problems had celluloid (or similar) scales.
I focused on the exotic scaled ones.
Greg

orig.jpg

Was the quality better than other Queen made knives from that time? Are they comparable to a Black Box Winchester from the 90's?

Yes, I would say Black Box Winchesters / Case Classics / Schatt & Morgan / Mooremaker from the 1980's/1990's were consistent.

A Case Classic I carry in the winter months. I carry a stainless Case during the summer. This fella is good for branches up to 1" diameter.
Gets a great edge, rides in the pocket well and doesn't tire or wear a spot in your hand. Much like what a pocket knife should and shouldn't do. Should you decide to get one like this, make sure the nail nick is close to the tip like this one. Otherwise they are a pain to open.
Greg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Back