Schrade 100th Anniversary Knives - Show 'em!

I don't think I saw this one in this thread. Not a very inspiring knife (most of these commemoratives, special editions, sfos, et al are not very inspiring), but this one is interesting to me because it is the very first knife I ever bought as a collectible.

100year001.jpg

(most of these commemoratives, special editions, sfos, et al are not very inspiring), [/IMG]

You are correct on that point Clavin. Compered to some of the previous Anniversary knives and that this was their 100th, the knives were very plain indeed.
I'm thinking that this was a sign of bad times otherwise I'm sure some very nice models may of appeared.
The only outstanding knife made was the one off Bowie with diamond studded blade.

Russell

At least one exception... I have been stalking Grey Menace for the blue bone 100 year hunter he owns... But not for the fact that it is an anniversary model. I just think the handle treatment is very nice and I am a big fan of hunters.

There must have been many celebratory knives planned for the 100th that never was....in addition to the Blue Bone Stockman and the Trapper I also have the Pro Hunter PH2 Blue Bone plus the 140OT Trail Boss with special bonded timber handles and brass shield and brass lanyard inserts, same as Codger's 165OT shown earlier in this thread..all obtained at the Schrade Sale....since the cobbled togethers with pakka wood< in a color to suit you> on original blank blades are now appearing by the thousand..the genuine timber handled models pre 2004 closure which were scarce, now tend to be non-entities...I see one US seller of these cobbled togethers even has wooden micarta handles!...as BL would say..'whatever they are ,they aren't'.....same with the fake 100 year Old Timers...who were they actually made for?..users dont require false regalia...Hoo Roo

100th Ann knives were planned for every pricepoint. Some made it to production, not many, some made it to preproduction, not many, some were prototyped or sampled, and some were only blanked. And some now have been faked. It does take some of the joy out of the collecting. I am supposing that like the first TBLLC knives, they were intended to fool the unwary collector and the noobs. I now find myself having to explain the new post apocolypse sharpfingers to members here and even collectors and former employees IRL.

I believe that Stewart Taylor markets knives as 50th anniversary Old Timers, from 1958 until 2008. To add insult to injury, there were no Old Timers to my knowledge until 1959, and even then there were only a box full. 1960 was the real startup year, was it not?

I believe that Stewart Taylor markets knives as 50th anniversary Old Timers, from 1958 until 2008. To add insult to injury, there were no Old Timers to my knowledge until 1959, and even then there were only a box full. 1960 was the real startup year, was it not?

From what I've read on the forums here, the very first Old Timer was made in 1959. So the 'official' 50th Anniversary would be 2009.

I actually wrote a letter to Stewart Taylor pointing out the fact that they came out with the 50th anniv knives a year early showing examples of the original 25th anniv etc. Got a response that they felt comfortable using 58 as the starting year as they had announced the line in the 58 sales meeting and where in production before the end of 58 which is the truth but not the common way to count the years. I still say 59 was the start of the OT line and I'm sticking with it.

Schrades 25th 34OT

SC85-43.jpg

Last edited:
..yes he's meticulous with detail.....gives his blessing under Licence to USA Schrade Walden stamped knives..that weren't actually made there..and not actually stamped on knife or paperwork where they were actually made....defying knife convention that the tang stamping by the manufacturer is actually made to show/mean something...pity the hapless purchasers who are collectors of pre-2004 Schrades....as Santas little helpers who onsell rarely tell the truth....whats that I hear you say..its out of his utmost respect and sentimentality for this trusted name that they were produced, not merely because he could, he did....Hoo Roo.

Got a response that they felt comfortable using 58 as the starting year as they had announced the line in the 58 sales meeting and where in production before the end of 58 which is the truth but not the common way to count the years.
That seems reasonable if Old Timer production did begin in 1958.
I only collect the originals, so Taylor's use of 1958 or 1959 doesn't interest me much.

ives his blessing under Licence to USA Schrade Walden stamped knives..that weren't actually made there..and not actually stamped on knife or paperwork where they were actually made....defying knife convention that the tang stamping by the manufacturer is actually made to show/mean something...
Are you talking about the Schrade Walden knives made by Bear or whoever? They were made in the USA, as far as I know, and it is obvious from the paperwork these are new production knives.

As far as the brand name on the tang not matching the factory it came from, knife companies have been making knives for each other since the beginning of time. Evidence listed recently even suggests that some Old Timer knives were actually made by Camillus! There was no Belknap knife factory either. ;)

Yah but... Camillus was a defacto part of Schrade, the Kauffman and Schwartz families being Albert's daughters Marjory and Betsy to whom he gave the stocks after he finally bought out the Kastor brothers in 1963. He kept a hand in the direction of the company and sent them work, Schrade, Imperial, Sears and other contracts until his death.

Schrade also put "Walden" on tang stamps years after they moved to Ellenville. From 1958 to 1973 consistently, and then sporadically on certain runs in the 1980s and later. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this. We have to remember that they considered it a trademark, not a historical document. Besides which, all they wanted to do was sell knives. They never dreamed of the nit picking collectors would go through years later.

You are correct. They also made knives later with the Ulster mark (actually, had them made for them by Camillus, the BSA issues).

Bob,its obvious to you from the Outside paperwork that they are new production is it? Its only inside the tube you get to see they are made under Licence given by Taylor...so in the interests of truth and honesty in marketing why not show it on the outside?...I saw in another thread that Bear and Son 'assembled' them in USA from Chinese supplied product..you can also confirm that is not true?....
Sure Imperial Schrade used Walden after moving to Ellenville,they were still USA made and 100% pre-2004 production....not as the gay pretenders would have you believe with their stampings and paperwork.
If seeking truth,honesty and genuineness in any Schrade knife I consider, is nit picking Cal,then as a Schrade pre-2004 production collector, I plead guilty your honor.
Wait until the "new production 2OT's and 3OT's with Washington Bolsters,bone handles and identical Tang stampings to the originals" start appearing in their hundreds and I wonder if any comment will be passed then, that the waters are now truely muddied to the extent that any existing genuine knives you have are now progressively becoming valueless in real Dollar terms which considering the investment some serious Schrade collectors have made is at least part of the collector equation....if the investment value consideration was not valid would we not be simply swapping as collectors with each other similar to how we swapped comics and marbles when we were kids?.....It's all going to get a lot worse before it gets better for genuine USA Schrade collectors and going into denial I suggest will not alter the facts....Hoo Roo

I may have expressed myself in a way I did not intend; I deplore the whole Stewart Taylor/Chinese knife scene. I agree with pretty much everything you say, Larry. The junk has undoubtedly decreased the value of the good stuff and this phenomenon will continue to worsen. As the supply of legitimate knives gets sparser and sparser, interest will decline, as well, along with knowledge. Although I can't prove it, I believe Taylor takes a malevolent pleasure in all of this. I don't think it is just a matter of making a lot of money. If it was only that, he could take a more honorable stance and still make a lot of money. It is not JUST him, of course; it is the secondary or retail market that stinks, as well. Changing the subject slightly, I don't have any interest in much of anything Schrade made in their last years, with a very few exceptions. I like the pre-80s stuff the best. And pre 60s is even better. No Chinese 2 OT would ever make it past my QC; I can tell you that.

I agree that as far as the value of our collections go the Chinese copies probably drag them down much further than if the name Schrade had never been put on a knife post-2004. I have to focus on the main reason why I have a collection of Schrade knives though. It's because I really like them. Any appreciation I try to see as a bonus.

I remember some wise words that Calvin wrote a while back pointing out that our knives really aren't worth anything until we sell them. Cash is worth cash. Knives are worth fluctuating, somewhat imaginary values driven by supply and demand from a small group of collectors (who could still all fit into one big stadium). Don't buy them to get rich. Buy them to horde! Buy them because you must! lol

So far all these post 2004 Schrade marked knives have not decreased the value of the Schrade manufactured knives. You can see this by watching USA Schrades listed on ebay. Prices are at an all time high. One example is a Schrade USA 8OT, no box, that sold a few days ago for about $130.
roland

i agree, i collect Schrade knives not to make an investment but to have something that is in its small way a work of art which has now disappeared from the world. in reading the history so nicely given by our most illustrious members i imagine how they were made, mostly by hand and assembled that way. not with a robot or quickly to turn a buck. a usable work of art feels so good in the hand when it is put to work in the way it was intended.

I have never once entertained any illusions about making money on knives. I have never bought one to re-sell, although the time approacheth that I will sell some, mostly at a loss, because my interests have changed somewhat. Right now I am just too busy to fool with painstakingly arranging ebay listings. I did one, so far, and it was tedious. All of the knives I have ever purchased were intended for long-term coon-fingering, although I have made some errors in judgement.

Back