Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

I'm still acquiring information about Canal Street Cutlery's High Country Skinner. Much of this information and images are courtesy of former CSC cutler Eric Albers. Apparently when the pattern was introduced as the CSC entry for raffle at the 2013 Shot Show, it was named "Highland Skinner", the name changed when it reached limited production that same year.

The display as well as the knife was designed by Oleh Stecyk. The mirror polished D2 steel blade was handled in chatoyant polished ram's horn. double taper flat grind and belt edge with razor buff. The knife features hand engraving on both guards done by Heidi Roos of Baron Technology’s Custom Studio. It is also laser engraved “2013 SHOT Show-Heritage Edition” on left side of blade and has the laser-engraved signature of Canal Street Cutlery President, Wally Gardiner on right side of blade.

This was, of course, a one-off knife. But except for the handle material and embellishments, remained true throughout it's short limited production.

2013 Shot Show a.jpg2013 Shot Show b.jpg2013 Shot Show c.jpg

CSC Blank.jpg

A special thank you to Eric for his assistance in assembling these images and information about these knives. I can honestly say that in my opinion, if you are fortunate enough to acquire one of these knives for your collection, you will own a true piece of cutlery art made by American Master Cutlers.

Smoky Mountain Knife Works was an important repeat customer for Schrade for both regular production knives and special orders. In 1991 SMKW ordered some knives with special blade etch, “Coal Miner’s Companion” mounted with black sawcut Delrin Old Timer handles. These retailed for $14.99 each.

Coal Miner's Companion a.jpg
Coal miners Companion 2.jpg

Here is an easily overlooked and forgotten Sharpfinger issue from the interrupted 2004 100th anniversary production. Uncertain how many were made, distributed or held in stock during the October 2004 auction. For the SMKW "DS" Program, a second shield was added to some basic production 152OT Sharpfingers, designated "A152OT, there were only 360 ordered for spring shipment to appear in the August catalog. I've not yet seen one etched or modified other than the addition of the antiqued coined anniversary shield. Some eleven folding knives were included in the DS program also. 104OT, 108OT, 12OT, 194OT, 33OT, 3OT, 807UH, 8OT, 834UH, 897UH, 94OT. I don't recall any special presentation packaging for the DS knives.

152OTDS Dual Shield 1.jpg

152OTDS Dual Shield 2.jpg

Last edited:
In 2003-2004, one of the last Sharpfingers of note is a factory commemorative issue prepared for the 100th Anniversary celebration. Because the July, 2004 closing was preceded by much internal turmoil, few of these were produced and sent to dealers for the retail market. This was an upscale variant with birdseye maple covers, an antiqued coined “limited Edition” shield and a special 100th Anniversary banner blade etch. While I have generally called this one “152ANN”, either in error or from seeing process documents, the nomenclature on the boxes they shipped in called them BM152.

152Ann.jpg152BEM Anniversary 1.jpg

As for myself, as a collector quarterbacking from my armchair with the benefit of hindsight and isolated from the economic turmoil that Schrade was experiencing at that time, I can wish they had put a lot more thought into the design of the anniversary sharpfinger. A better design coined shield, a different handle material choice, an elaborate art and text blade etch.

Here are a pair of samples seen a while back. Doubtful these ever reached even limited production.

Darrell Guffey Ann Pair Sample c.jpg

Green Delrin was not used on many issues of the Sharpfinger trio. In fact, I am hard pressed to recall any of the 152 pattern using it other than a SFO for New Jersey Fish, Game & Wildlife and another for Ducks Unlimited .

However, U.S. Tobacco's SKOAL promotion sold quite a few of the 154 pattern with green handles. And some remaindered knives show up occasionally converted in one way or another from their SKOAL branding.

As to the original SKOAL SK154G, in January of 1995 there were 1,970 pcs. ordered. Then in 1999, remainders from SK154 were ordered to have SKOAL shields removed and replaced with large brass Heritage SCHRADE shields, SKOAL etches removed and Limited Edition etches added. 1,475 pcs.

Occasionally one will see another variant where the SK154G has had the shield swap but instead of the "Limited Edition" blade etch has Ducks Unlimited national organization's ducks in flight and text etch.

Here is a state chapter DU etched for Nebraska Ducks Unlimited. It uses a remaindered 154G with green handle originally made for UST... SKOAL.
Nebraska 154GDUN d.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a pair of examples of the original SKOAL 154G issue.154G Samples.png

And here is an example of the aforementioned N.J. Dept of Fish, Game and Wildlife knife with branded sheath.

152OTG NJ DFG&W 1.jpg152OTG NJ Fish & Game Vickery Etch.jpg

Last edited:
Beginning not long after Schrade introduced their new patented “I-Beam” clampack packaging in the mid 1980’s, they began producing “Bonus Packs” which included various free items with “graphicly enhanced cards” to help attract buyers. Bonus items I have noted are a Brunton compass, a red vinyl poncho, a AAA flashlight, Schrade playing cards, Arkansas sharpening stones and a knife care kit. These were offered with various patterns of Old Timer knives.

In early June of 1999 an in-house New Product Sheet was issued and distributed for production of a bonus Sharpfinger Clampack with a Schrade knife care kit, 1520TCKP. No individual ordering customer was listed but rather “All levels/categories including major sporting goods and hardware retailers.

The SAK-2 Knife Care Kit was introduced in 1982 and contains: • 202 Oil • Utility cloth. • Sharpening stone. • Carry case • Maintenance/sharpening tips.

The included Sharpfinger knife was the standard production of that date with no special features denoting the bonus. It had the then-usual plain ground 1095HC blade, standard tang stamp, dyed sawcut Delrin handle and Old Timer shield. The sheath was the common leather handle snap sheath.

The quantity produced is unknown. They were ordered to be shipped by August 15th ’99 — December 15th ‘99. Timed to be retailed during the fall, winter, spring hunting and gift giving seasons.

As of this writing it has been nearly 35 years since these were produced in what was intended to be disposable short-term packaging. It is not common to find unopened new old stock of these today. In part because of retail buyers’ habit of disposing of packaging soon after purchase, partly because the plastic used for the clampack shells had little UV inhibitors leading to a portion becoming discolored and brittle.View attachment 2300119

A collector friend recently spotted a new Sharpfinger copy from Asia, I have not bought one yet to compare, but found a new example at below MSRP and will be ordering it. Prices vary from twenty to thirty-five USD.

I will give a brief list of the specs I have found so far. Blackened 7.0" OAL, 3" hollow ground full tang blade. Blade steel is 3Cr13MoV Stainless, Black and red G-10 handle, Model RR2394 Named "Code Red Skinner", Weighs 3.81oz.

They don't seem to be widely distributed yet, but the Rough Ryder brand appears to be gaining in popularity among younger collectors who have no issues with imported knives.
ROUGH RIDER RR2394 SKINNER.jpg

Last edited:
Great posts Codger_64 Codger_64 , thanks for sharing these pictures and information.
You're welcome Grateful. Sometimes I wonder if anyone still reads this Sharpfinger research. And it is a reoccurring problem keeping photos up when programs change. But I don't find anyone else documenting this pattern's original production, limited and special editions, customs and later copies. And new examples and information comes to light fairly often still after all these years.

For instance We found the archive copy of the UST Walt Garrison flyer ad. Previously I had only seen them occasionally on the bay used and photographed skewed. Mr. Garrison passed recently after a very active career. Lifelong rodeo star, Dallas Cowboy, wood carver, Schrade buyer and spokesman.

Garrison b.jpg

A collector friend recently spotted a new Sharpfinger copy from Asia, I have not bought one yet to compare, but found a new example at below MSRP and will be ordering it. Prices vary from twenty to thirty-five USD.

I will give a brief list of the specs I have found so far. Blackened 7.0" OAL, 3" hollow ground full tang blade. Blade steel is 3Cr13MoV Stainless, Black and red G-10 handle, Model RR2394 Named "Code Red Skinner", Weighs 3.81oz.

They don't seem to be widely distributed yet, but the Rough Ryder brand appears to be gaining in popularity among younger collectors who have no issues with imported knives.
View attachment 2407179
Went ahead and ordered one best price+ship+tax was $24.70. Any of the Rough Ryder collectors have one yet?

While comparing copies I ran across this one in one of my boxes of Sharpies. It is a close kin to the Schrade design, but made only in 2005 - 2006 so seldom seen today. Arrowhead Cutlery of Tennessee, domestic manufacturing division of United Cutlery Brands located in Rockford, Tennessee produced five versions though the quantity of each is not known. Two of them were based upon the appearance and construction of the original Sharpfinger and three were based on the unproduced 152OTX design with finger grooved flat slab handles mounted with screws and a lanyard loop hole.

Harley Davidson HD0152MX
Rigid Max Edge Bear Foot Hunter RG0152MX
Klass Kissing Crane KC154
Outdoor Life Small Fixed Blade Hunter FS0152C
Rigid Bear Tooth Hunter RG0152

Here is the HD0152MX

United Harley Davidson.jpg

And the Rigid RGO152MX

RGO152MX Rigid 1.jpg

Klass Kissing Crane KC154

United Klass.jpg

The Outdoor Life FS0152

OUTDOOR LIFE FS0152 d.jpg

Last edited:
Here once again is a completed 152OTX X-Timer developed by Schrade but never produced. A collector had one of the few blanks of the knife finished as intended having handle printed and special shield salvaged from a 24OTX which did get produced and sold briefly through Walmart. You can see the resemblance of the United knives as well as several imported copies that have appeared.

152OTX Construct trim.jpg

This is the Winchester brand imported by CRKT Portland. It is obviously also a clone of the 152OTX. Of course it, like most imported copies, is available at low price point of $20 or less.

Winchester 4660315A a.jpg

This is the Rite Edge brand rendition. Obviously bottom price point knives. While Rite Edge is supposedly a Pakastani company, these are marked China.

Rite Edge China a.jpg

Went ahead and ordered one best price+ship+tax was $24.70. Any of the Rough Ryder collectors have one yet?
The Rough Ryder Code Red arrived today. While I don't promote bottom dollar import knives, I must admit that this one surprised me with fit and finish. I'll never use it so can’t attest to its durability in the field. It was shipped with a sharp edge finely ground but I have no idea how well it performs and stays sharp. The black blade coating is smooth and evenly applied. How durable is it?

The handle is surprisingly well done with rounded corners and flush to the exposed tang all around. The molded G10 covers show no signs of sinks, splay, warp or other defects.

It was shipped with a slab plastic sheath with a metal pocket clip and an Allen wrench appropriate for the handle and sheath screws.

In summary, this cheap knife is the best appearing Sharpfinger copy I have seen in that bottom price range.

ROUGH RYDER RR2394 SKINNER.jpg

Last edited:
Back