Schrade 165ot ? Wood Handle and Unmarked. Anybody know?

scotl

Gold Member
I just bought this knife that looks a lot like a 165OT... only different. It has a wood handle with no nameplate and has no stamping anywhere on the blade. It is also very close in size to the 165. Is anybody familiar with this knife? Sorry about the feet in the picture.

IMG_0586.jpgIMG_0584.jpg

It is a 160 OT, not a 165 OT. Your example is MOST LIKELY an example of a large quantity of 165 OT and 160 OT blade blanks that sold to (?)(SMKW) at the July 2004 bankruptcy auction of Schrade. They were subsequently sent to China to be re-handled in wood or stabilized wood. There were also several sfo (special factory orders) of 160 OTs set up in various ways for various customers, such as Ducks Unlimited, for example, and one of these had wood handles, but also a shield. And, finally, employees at the Schrade factory also in the days leading up to the bankruptcy auction put together every kind of put-togethers they could get their hands on to make some kind out of knife out of everything. So, those are some options. And, undoubtedly some have been re-handled by amateur or professional craftsman after-market. Meanwhile, the 160 OT was marketed according to one reliable source from 1990 through 1993. The 165 OT has a slightly more robust and heavier presence.

It is a 160 OT, not a 165 OT. Your example is MOST LIKELY an example of a large quantity of 165 OT and 160 OT blade blanks that sold to (?)(SMKW) at the July 2004 bankruptcy auction of Schrade. They were subsequently sent to China to be re-handled in wood or stabilized wood. There were also several sfo (special factory orders) of 160 OTs set up in various ways for various customers, such as Ducks Unlimited, for example, and one of these had wood handles, but also a shield. And, finally, employees at the Schrade factory also in the days leading up to the bankruptcy auction put together every kind of put-togethers they could get their hands on to make some kind out of knife out of everything. So, those are some options. And, undoubtedly some have been re-handled by amateur or professional craftsman after-market. Meanwhile, the 160 OT was marketed according to one reliable source from 1990 through 1993. The 165 OT has a slightly more robust and heavier presence.
Thank you, Sir. I had no idea how widely dispersed these blades were. Thanks for the identification too. I have never owned a 160 OT so your help is greatly appreciated.

So if I understand correctly these blade blanks that were sold at auction to SMKW and the others, were actually produced by Schrade (ISC) factories and so are still mostly authentic original pieces. When I look at the knife closely, though, I think your observation about aftermarket amateur re-handling does certainly apply here. It's nice to know that at least the blade is original Schrade.
Thanks again.

Back