Schrade 897UH Signature Premium Stockman Research

Any thoughts or information about tang stamps, serial numbers and scale design changes and timelines?

34i6bfb.jpg

2e155yu.jpg

Well the stock of this USA Stockman hasn't dried up thank goodness and I just picked up a few more NIB USA's for 25bucks. Actually got them in a package deal with NIB 104ots as well. I've been giving these out as Christmas presents as well as other USA Schrade folders to employees, friends and family since right after 2004. Some understand the significance some don't. But they all appreciate the quality of the knives.

Here is the 100th anniversary edition from the DS program (Dual Shield). I have no idea as to exactly how many of these were made but it could not have been too many as they ceased production at the end of July in 2004, and quite a few intended issues never made it to market until the inventory liquidation in October.

f9nus9.jpg

Here is the Craftsman version of the 897UH.

Craftsman 9552
20sj9rq.jpg

And a couple of 197UH Cat Paws
jjv383.jpg

5b4sb6.jpg

Last edited:
Any thoughts or information about tang stamps, serial numbers and scale design changes and timelines?

34i6bfb.jpg

The SCHRADE NY USA one like yours (1973), ushered in more attractive Delrin with a new mold and reddish hues.

Last edited:
The SCHRADE NY USA one like yours (1973), ushered in more attractive Delrin with a new mold and reddish hues.

There was another mold change after this one too. I wonder when that change took place? Is there a timeline for the 4 line tang stamp, or was that random? I'm curious about when the serial numbers started and ended too. I'm never at a loss for questions concerning Schrades. :rolleyes:

I needed some place to post pictures of this recent purchase after I rubbed on it awhile. This looked like a good spot. I finally coaxed a couple of good pictures out of my crappy camera. Maybe this will inspire others to post some of their 897UH premium stockmans and it's relatives.

H897 Red Jigged Bone
hsnded.jpg

29bebeh.jpg

Why is my staglon only one color? This knife was gifted to me by someone who knows I like stockman pattern knives. The staglon is one uniform color and seems a darker tan than was used on the typical staglon uncle Henry knives.

Why is my staglon only one color? This knife was gifted to me by someone who knows I like stockman pattern knives. The staglon is one uniform color and seems a darker tan than was used on the typical staglon uncle Henry knives.

Maybe this is the "Buckskin" 897UH that Codger has posted about? I've always been curious about that since I read Codger's posts about it. Codger?

Maybe this is the "Buckskin" 897UH that Codger has posted about? I've always been curious about that since I read Codger's posts about it. Codger?

I'd love to see those pics as well. Unfortunately if you weren't around when they were originally posted and made a copy now many are gone or have in many instances turned into some other wierd sometimes funny picture.

I'd love to see those pics as well. Unfortunately if you weren't around when they were originally posted and made a copy now many are gone or have in many instances turned into some other wierd sometimes funny picture.

I found a couple of Codger's old pictures. Here's one showing a "buckskin".

897uhvariousscales.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice, what a pretty color wheel. The Buckskin reminds me of candy peanuts as kid going to the zoo. Had to have candy peanuts and pink popcorn.

Wonder if the one on the far right is a custom skin job. No escutcheon.

2 Comments -- and a Kudo

ODOG - Sure looks 'Buchskin'y to me - good catch
Thanks to the following poster to link to the 'Amazing Codgers' data gatherings!!

SADDLEBUM - Best as I can see, 897H doesn't show up in the catalogs on http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/
Says USA so we assume the best at this point
Anyone have more comments on when this may have been produced? Was it part if a multi-model issue? Year?

THAWK - Just plain good to see you in there!! - I'll speak for all that we appreciate you capturing some great photos as they were available!!

--Howie

This Blue Bone 897 was part of a special order set , Schrade never finished. Ken.
medium

medium

medium

Last edited:
Would this be staglon or genuine stag covers? Serial # is 103222 and not sure exactly about year made but I’m told either circa 1960’s or as Jeff told me earlier today most likely 1970 or 1971 depending on if the box is hinged or not. (I’m still awaiting delivery).
View attachment 2497508
View attachment 2497509

Back