Schrade and the Butt saver

Several years ago I was speaking at the Walden Historical Society (in Walden NY) on the history of the cutlery industry in this area. It was not a good place to make a mistake most of the people there were my senior ( and I am 55 ) most had forgotten more than I knew. One man was 97 he had worked at New York Knife when he was 17. The only reason I got through it was because of a great display of knives I had brought with me that kept them busy. Later on a man approached me with an item that contained an ad ( which I am attaching to this posting). The item was an aluminum tube which could adjust to various lengths to save a cigar butt for later use. The ad had one side for the butt saver and one for Schrade knives. The material and finish seems consistent with the metal handles Schrade used for some of it's models. The president of the firm was named Terwilliger, a name well known in this area however I have not been able to find information on this particular individual, or company. I am posting this for several reasons. First that perhapes Schrade, Mr Faust, or a reader may have some information regarding the relationship between
these two companies, this item or ad. Second I believe it is enjoyable to see these old ads and wonder about these forgotten bits of history. Rich PS On August 25 Walden NY will host the annual Walden day, on this day the historical society displays its collection of antique knives from the three cutlery companies which at one time supplied over 50% of the knives made in this country. These knives were donated by local families and firms spanning 150 years. If you are a collector or student of these items and are in the area that day you might want to stop in and view them.
View
View
View

Back