That FAK reminded me of a toungue in cheek ad I saw once. It read:

FOR SALE
French Army Rifle
8MM LaBelle
Excellent condition
Never Fired
Dropped Once

Paul

BTW, there isn't any magnesium or silver in steel, they are manganese (Mn) and silicon (Si).

i'm pretty sure those are transcription errors or the person who typed the chart misunderstood the abbreviations for manganese and silicon.

AISI Type 440A
Element Weight %
C 0.60-0.75
Mn 1.00
Si 1.00
Cr 16.0-18.0
P 0.04
S 0.03
Mo 0.75
mn = manganese
si = silicon
s = sulfur

by the way, super post codger! :thumbup:

So...it seems that the Schrade booklet was in error? OMG!:eek: :D

I appreciate the corrections. I'll go back to my earlier post in this theread and add this correction. And that is an excellent link to the 440A as well!

Codger

A Schrade Publication which gave the breakdown for the steels used by them

dholderbarnettcopy.jpg

Thanks, Ray. I figured the person who typed it was a P.R. person, and didn't know the chemical element abbreviations. Or they may have relied on a word processor/spell checker to suggest a word from the abbreviation, and picked the wrong one, again for the same reason. That's why I hate spell checkers; they will give you a word, just not necessarily the right one.

Thanks for the original info, Codger, and all the other informative posts in the past, and hopefully many more far into the future. I read, I learn a lot, and occasionally I throw in a cent or two. BTW, I "blame" you, LT, and Orvet, among others, for making me spend too much time and money on Ebay collecting Schrades! (If I wasn't using quick reply, I'd insert the appropriate smiley face here.)

Lastly, thanks for the Schrade steel chart, BK420. Did you scan a hard copy, or save some of the old Schrade web copy? Is there a date on this info? What's interesting to me is not just the elemental breakdown, which is probably available elsewhere, but the Rockwell C hardness numbers, which I'm assuming (always dangerous) reflect Schrade's heat treating methods. I've not seen that before. I'm really curious about the wide range given for 1095. Is that just production variation, differences between fixed and folding knife blades, or did they practice any differential hardening? Hmmm...

Well, I'd better log off before I head back to Ebay! Thanks for the info, gentlemen...

I was the one to whom Tim Faust posted his reply back in 2001. I picked up two UH's at a flea market back in 2001, a 285 and a 897. I still carry the 285 frequently. The 897 is tucked away. The ole 285 (has to be from the early 1970's) is a great knife. It is stainless, but with just the SCHRADE stamp. I'm a big carbon-steel fan, but this old UH is one of the best cuttin knives I've ever owned. A couple years ago, I was hiking along the Suwannee River when I used it to eat lunch. I stuck it in the ground and (horror of horrors) left it there. When I hot home, I drove back 75miles one way to go find that knife! great old knife, regards F_M

Fm, welcome back to the forum! You aren't alone in recovering an old Schrade friend. I think most of us have misplaced one, and either gone back for it, or found it just where the wife put it (always easier to blame the Missus). :)

Codger

Have a 524 sc scrade + with a deer on the handle with what looks like an f at the right edge of the etching. Don't know how to use this site yet, so am throwing this in. Anyone have any info they would like to share on this knife

Good work collecting that info.

I don't know when did Schrade start using the "Schrade+" stamp but my first stainless Schrade, 897UH bought in 1974 if I remember correctly, is stamped "STAINLESS".

Luis

inhlsh.jpg

Does the Uncle Henry 897 you posted with the Schrade over NY USA have the serial number in the liner? I have a Schrade Walden 897 and a Schrade+ 897 that both have a serial number, so logic tells me yours would have one would as well. It appears to me the tang stamp on your example is a "transition" between the Schrade Walden and the stamp they used from there on out.

My Schrade Walden 897 is similar, but it does not have 897UH stamped anywhere on the blade. It does however have worked brass liners in between the backsprings. I have seen a few with worked backsprings as well.

I have an 885UH with the same stamp (except it is a 885UH) stamp that has the serial number too. It does not have + or STAINLESS, so I wonder if it is carbon?

Don Luis's example is interesting in that it uses the STAINLESS stamp instead of the SCHRADE+ designation.

Similarly, I have an 8OT with a Schrade over NY USA stamp, and it has the 8OT on the reverse side of the master blade, like they did with Schrade Walden knives. It also has the match striker pull.

Nothing too important in this post, just observations of someone with nothing better to do than sit and squint at small writing on knife blades. I enjoy these kind of details though, especially the stampings found that distinguish a transition period with Schrade.

Back