Schrade IXL Wostenholm lockback

before I left the house last evening I noticed the knife had three hours approx before the end, I put a small maximum bid on the knife as I was more interested in other auctions, the next time I was at the computer I opened BFC first, saw Rolands link to the auction and found out that I had won, I have seen other IXL knives go for way more than my maximum bid and was surpised to say the least.

Rusty1

Rusty, how about posting better pics when it arrives, plus comments on quality ?
if it is same knife as in first post here, then it was produced for circulation. roland

I'll be interested to see if it is stamped. Coincidence it came up at the same time as the one being asked about. I did not see that one until Roland posted it. Nice knife with outstanding jigged bone.

Heres Mine, Im pretty sure its worth a little over $150 US.

CopyofIMG_5300.jpg

IMG_5303.jpg

IMG_5304.jpg

IMG_5305.jpg

Sweet looking knife, I don't think that particular I*XL comes round very often!

Rusty1

Made for Snap-on Tools Schrade I*XL Greenbone Lockback. The plastic clam shell box came inside a two piece cardboard box with GB029 stamped on the side. GB I assume stands for Green Bone, the same number is stamped on the front bolster. It made me think that other color bone handles may have been available. The fit and finish is top notch and in line with other Schrade I*XL lockback knives. No problems that I can see whatsoever.

The knife as mentioned in other posts seems that it was made at the Camillus factory.
Differences between the Schrade design and the Camillus design can be seen in the pictues below along side a Schrade LB8.

Rusty1

dsc0168lw7.jpg

dsc0160lc9.jpg

dsc0169uv0.jpg

dsc0172zj1.jpg

dsc0173nu4.jpg

Rusty
That is a very smart looking knife not seen often at all, I think you and me must have similar tastes. They are nicer to handle than in a photo, a bit like a 165 UH is.
Regards Tim

Yep, that's the same knife except for the stamping on the bolster. Interesting that no one had seen these, and then three pop up on the forum in the same week.

I have a Schrade I*XL 3-piece knife set made for snap-on. The set includes one large lock back, one medium lock back, and a small lock back. The knife handles are made of what looks like stag and they look very similar to rprocter's picture (the second knife with the silver bolster.) I have all three leather cases, original box and paperwork. Can anyone tell me what year they might be and a ball park price?

M-town, my IXL you refer to is from the Snap On set you ask about.
i bought the set complete with box, sheaths, papers, all unused, for $110 from a BIN on ebay about to expire because no one else had bid in 6 days.
roland

Roland, do you know what year they were made in? Would you be able to upload the link to the auction? I bought mine for about $225 from a gem show several years ago... I feel ripped off lol!

i bought mine about 6 months ago, so no link. you did pay a little on the high side, but not exactly ripped off.
doing a lot of ebay watching and buying has shown me that knife prices fluctuate wildly, even from one day to the next.
mine averaged out to about $35 each, which i think is a very good price for a well made, stag handled lockback. (and, it's a Schrade !!)
i bet with time you could get your money back and then some. roland

Keep an eye on the stag scales of those 3. Mine and several others I've heard of tend to warp at the bolster ends. Specially on the smaller 2.
Just a warning.. It may not happen to you. :grumpy:
TTYL
Larry

Larry, thanks for tip about warping scales. do you think immersing knife in mineral oil for 24 hrs. or so, annually, would prevent this ? roland

Back