schrade plus steel

been trying to search this forum about the steel, but can't seem to come up with anything. Wondering about the schrade plus steel, what it is, toughness, edge retention, ect about it? Anyone?

It sucks as a user steel. Works good on collector knives (won't rust). Don't plan on holding an edge with this stuff.

just hold on to the question. There are several different opinions about it. You will get a vastly different one from another member here in a bit!

You called, Codger?

Ok, here it is again. Please forgive me Schrade forum regulars. If I were a moderator here, I'd make a 'Sticky' up at the top of the threads for everyone to contribute to on this one subject. So with a friendly tip of the hat to Harry Callahan.....

Textoothpk's rant

Plenty of reasons why this steel was used by Schrade: Not every casual knife user wants Carbon steel. They don't want to deal with rust and the maintinece to prevent it. And cost, of course.

Just got back in from Bunny hunting. My big old Schrade and my tough tool went with me, of course.:

227940.jpg

Phil

I just finished working on a school project for my preprimary age niece, a toy made from recicled paper and cardboard, the 897UH I used feels as sharp as when I started and I keep a good smooth 15/17 degree double bevel edge per side on it, it will still be a while before it needs retouching.

I believe this 420HC is much better than what some people may think and tougher than higher carbon steels, yes, modern super steels are great (but expensive) and carbon blades are sweet (but they tend to rust). Schrade+ IMHO is better than just a good compromise between price, usability and easy maintenance, it is a fine user steel that has served me well for many years.

You don´t have to believe me, just give it a chance, get an Uncle Henry and try it, if you don´t like it you can give it out as a present or keep it as a collectible (should go up in price now that Schrade is gone).

Luis

Angelus1781 said:
been trying to search this forum about the steel, but can't seem to come up with anything. Wondering about the schrade plus steel, what it is, toughness, edge retention, ect about it? Anyone?

See? I like the Schrade+ blades on my Uncle Henry's too. The 897UH is my preferred EDC knife. I can dismantle a 20 foot by 40 foot by 8 foot deep .20 mil vinyl swimming pool liner into easily managed 6' wide strips (do the math to find the linear inches of cut) without resharpening. It will then cut the gaskets, cut the straps and open the new liner box, trim out the skimmer and return openings, and is still sharp enough to trim out the 8 foot stairway. I do have to resharpen after each liner job, but I would have to do that with an Old Timer and it's carbon steel blades. The carbon is a bit easier to sharpen, but the pool chemicals (chlorine, acids, alkalies) eat the blades pretty bad.

My only gripe about the stainless blades has to do with appearance. For my hunting knives, I prefer carbon blades. Esthetics, I suppose. Neither steel is "crap" though. For that, you need a Chinese or Pakastani blade IMHO. :D

This thread, along with a similar one on a Case forum, brought back memories of when we all carried Old Timers with carbon steel blades or Cases with chrome vanadium. A common statement was, "It gets dull in my pocket." In fact, one of my coworkers said that a couple of weeks ago in reference to his Old Timer stockman (looked very old to me.) Then when stainless came along, we all began talking about how much better the old stuff was. I carried an 897UH for a long time many years ago (about 1980-84.) I honestly felt like it may have outperformed the old carbon steel stuff (I know some think I'm guilty of heresy here.) I would imagine that was one of the old 440A knives. I have never tried to conduct any quasi-scientific tests on edge holding. I just know I have an LB7 purchased in the late 70's, early 80's which always seemed to be a great field performer. I still like the looks of an good carbon blade with a patina. And I still carry carbon steel blades a lot. I have not carried 420HC (newer version of Schrade+) blades enough to really have an opinion, although they do sharpen up nice. But I would not hesitate to buy a knife that I liked just because it was Schrade+. I would also like to add my knives see very light usage. This may be a factor. Most envelopes are not that tough, not even the larger ones Vaquero

The feeling by many knife users that the rust and discoloration of high carbon steel was an inconvenience was most definitely the reason for the introduction of stainless steel. While most avid users preferred the high carbon steel and honestly felt that the steel wasn't a good, high quality steel until it was seasoned (darkened and discolored) properly, there was always quite a big number of people writing in to complain that the steel must be a very poor steel, because they couldn't slice their apples without it rusting. Because Schrade was losing a lot of users to the discoloration, they took full advantage of the availability of stainless in the 50's to try to please everyone.

Queen Cutlery used Carbon steel for many, many years, until they decided to go with stainless. Huge customer backlash... so they cleverly renamed it... "Queen Steel".

Everyone has their idea of what is best. The knife manufacturers have to walk a fine line to try and satify everyone. Scrhade tried doing both carbon and stainless... and we know what happened there. What steel is used in a knife is important to me, but also so is the handle and the material it's made from. The style or shape of the blade. The utility of it. Being pleasing to the eye is important. Size. On and on.

Phil

My circa 1980 Uncle Henry LB7 with Schrade+ will take a fine edge and hold it for a good while........my Schrade 125OT with a carbon blade gets scarry sharp....either will out cut a current Buck 110. Scharde are working man's knives ! Those that think their steel is crap.....will be tryin' 10 years from now to buy one off the "For Sale Forum" now that Schrade is belly up.

-regards

Gramps said:
My circa 1980 Uncle Henry LB7 with Schrade+ will take a fine edge and hold it for a good while........my Schrade 125OT with a carbon blade gets scarry sharp....either will out cut a current Buck 110.

Hold on there, Gramps, while I pick up the worms you just spilled on the floor :p.

I must be old. I don't understand that last post. Worms? What?
I prefer the old carbon steel blades, but when I have to do real cutting, I put up my wonder steel knives and break out ANY of my Schrades. If I ever have to kill a car door or cut a tree down with my pocket knife I'll definately get one of my knives with ATS34 or VG10 or the like.
Mike

I think SCHRADE+ is a decent steel, both the older stuff and the more recient. One exception was a pro trapper that was the most worthless blade I ever used. Must have been a bad heat treat.
SCHRADE catches alot of crap for being low end but alot of work has been done with Schrade knives"both carbon and stainless" and alot more will be finished before the world runs out of OLD TIMERS and UNCLE HENRYS.

vetkaw63 said:
I must be old. I don't understand that last post. Worms? What?

I was implying that the cutting comparison between Schrade and Buck was "opening a can of worms".

Back