Schrade Rope Knife Age?

Looking through my footlocker of knives I saw one my Father had given me. He was a Port Captain for Moore-McCormic Steam Ship Lines in NYC in the 50's and 60's before he went back to see. The knife is a Schrade and marked in three lines: "Schrade", then "Walden", then "N.Y. USA". Typical rope knife blade, tip sharpened back, very strong spring, carbon steel blade that takes a very good edge, and what looks like walnut scales with four pins and a lanyard hole. The butt is cut of square and inserted into the left scale is an one inch by 1/2-inch white plastic rectangle with red, white and blue lines. In the top red stripe it says "Rope", in center white strip in blue letters it says "Columbian" and in the bottom blue stripe it says in white letters "Twine". There is also a circle of rope on the rectangle. I am pretty sure it was given to my Father by the Columbian Rope and Twine Company, but wonder what era it might be from. Thanks.

A picture would help to be sure, but the Schrade Walden marking dates from just after WWII, ca.1946, to ca. 1973. Some subtleties of the marking may refine the timeline further.

The early Schrade Waldens do not have NY in the stamp, but that can vary from pattern to pattern. That usually means late 40's (roughly). No pattern stamp on the pile side can indicate earlier than ones that do (though not scientific). The 163 is the knife I think you describe, and began production in 1953. Early versions in the catalog are described with cocobolo wood and steel grooved bolsters.
rope_163-1.jpg

This is from the 1953 catalog, but does not have a lanyard hole (likely for a schackle), but Schrade always seemed to have a variation or two, plus yours was an SFO. They probably migrated to a non steel bolster after a while.
I'd like to see a picture too if possible.

thawk, Thanks, I had forgotten to mention it is marked "163" on the right side of the tang. Bolsters are smooth, not what looks to be grooved in the illustration and the hole is just in front of the rear most pin, and is 5/32 wide, which seems to be a little big for a shackle, but it could be. Everything else seems to track and it is one strong spring, when you fully open the blade it really snaps. Time period works too. John

I think your 163 is from the late 1960's to early 1970’s, at least based on catalog pictures.

The first pic below shows the 1970 catalog pic of the 163. Prior to that the 163 is shown with grooved bolsters and without the lanyard loop or hole for the lanyard loop.
So based on the pics in the 1970 Line catalog sheet, I would speculate that that is roughly when the pattern was changed from the grooved bolsters and the lanyard loop added.
The actual change in the knife could have preceded the change in the catalog picture by a year or so. Schrade was never real quick to change catalog pictures to match production changes, so at best it gives us an approximate time the change in the design took place.

The second pic shows a 136 (built on the same frame as the 163 but with the hawkbill blade) from the same era.

Does the 136 look like your knife, except for the blade?
Does the late 1960’s-1970 fit the time frame for your knife?

Dale

Attachments

• Schrade Walden 163 - 1970.JPG
    Schrade Walden 163 - 1970.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Schrade 136.jpg
    Schrade 136.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 57
Orvet, my 163 does look like the one in the photo, but no shackle. Wood on mine is much darker, but it is possible my Father stained it, thanks for the information. John

The handles on these knives turned up in many shades. Your's maybe was the way it came from the factory.

Russell

dsc0146bwb8.jpg

G'day,wouldn't it make it easier for us collectors if every knife had carried the date of manufacture...some did... usually military..the first is tang stamped 'APPROVED USCG 1944 05. <United States Coast Guard> CAMILLUS CUTLERY CO CAMILLUS NY USA. The other is an old USA Kutmaster. Both have the strongest snap of any of my folders and obviously purpose built tough.
Besides blade etchings can anyone show a Schrade Cut Co/Walden/Imperial Schrade, with tang date stamping?.I cant immediately think of any....Hoo Roo

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 39
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 35
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 35
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 42
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 35
Hello everybody been trying to find my way around here .Just signed up .how are you UL just come from tring to list a 505SC i have breached the animal laws ,probably the Ducks before the stockman is what did it or Ivory Delrin.. I see some nice tradies..

This knife was first shown in the 1934 supplement as the N1361, with Schrade Cutco tang stamp, and of course no pattern number was stamped except as a rarity. Described as with cocobolo wood, which was probably the same all the way up into the 1970s?

Found this pooor quality pic of your knife on eBay. Blade is marked 163 walden NY USA. On the handle it has logo that reads rope columbian twines.
$_12.JPG

Back