Schrade sc509 Identification?

I need some insight to a knife that my dad has. From what I can tell, its a Schrade Little Finger SC509, with an eagle. Everything I've researched says that this knife was produced in 1983. The confusion comes from the fact that its not like other examples I have seen elsewhere online. It does not say "Schrade Scrimshaw" on the blade like others. It also does not have anything on the other side of the handle, like others showing a circular decorative design opposite the eagle. Was there variation in how these were produced? Any insight you fellas have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm having trouble getting pictures to upload. Any special tricks/advice? Thanks.

When I click "add Image" button it asks for URL. I just have the pics on my computer. Thanks.

Last edited:
46650513562_92ec529d3c_z.jpg
46703234951_f7c4e0e9e9_z.jpg

It's hard to tell if it ever had a blade etch. They don't hold up long under use. I don't have that issue NIB to compare the pile side. But found a picture on eBay. They did have the oval with scroll on the pile side. I don't know why yours does not.
102whsk.jpg

2nb7n9h.jpg

That looks it might have been the inspiration for the Schrade Caping knife 2156OT.

Gs6pk99.jpg

I believe that is a Taylor, not a Schrade. But yes, they did use a similar "leaf" blade shape.

Thanks Codger. Next time I get eyes on the knife I will look real close for any remnants of that blade etch. The mystery continues regarding the handle....

Just another side note...All the examples I've seen online have had black sheaths? The sheath belonging to this knife is tanned leather, but exactly the same shape.

The sheath may have been a replacement from the Old Timer version of the knife. Hard to say why it isn't black like most for that issue.

I have the exact same knife I bought and carried as a dealer line mechanic. It came with brown sheath, eagle on one side and no blade markings. I just found it again, cleaned and sharpened, and am carrying again to start my car restoration. Fits just right!

Back