Schrade - Sears Roebuck & Co. knives

Yes it is, I couldnt afford a new one so I bought this one it had a few VERY light handling marks, very pleased with it, very pretty.
Sorry to get off the subject realise this is a Schrade forum but here (ebay item number 190057496167) is a very beautiful engraved 110, the way its done it looks like a Classic Antique !!!
Regards Tim

..Their work is simply beautiful..I just got Brian Yellowhorse #300066139687which is 1 of 1 Proto with the motif reversed to the other pieces for display. Likewise sorry to get off topic...start talking knives and it leads anywhere... Hoo Roo

Timstools,

If you look at all the nice Schrades in your picture (and they are nice :thumbup: ), you can see that the forward most pin, on the mark side handles, is much closer to the bolster than it is on the Camillus/Craftsman knives. I believe this is what lrv was referring to. And, when you study Codger's comparison, you can see how the Schrade bolster flattens out above the pivot area, and the Camillus/Craftsman does not. The flat grind on the knife in question, might be because it appears to be numbered as a sample...maybe as a cost saving measure or the like. Most everybody was using coiled 420HC for blades by the late '90s as a cost saving measure...so maybe a simpler grind as well?

JMO.

Bill

Aint nuthin wrong in talking about a good Buck or Camillus. All great lockbacks. The Frontiers sold by Imperial made at Camillus. The Bucks by Schrade. Etc etc.. We are an addicted lot. Keep feeding it.

I guess the best way to know a knife is by holding and using it. Besides the front pin The angle of the rear bolster where it meets the wood is different as is the rounded butt... Now I could take that in a different direction.

TTYL
Larry

i have recently received a SEARS/STAINLESS/U.S.A. 95416. it is the Camillus version and looks identical to the pic. posted above by Codger, headed CM9, except mine has no blade etch. it's a real beauty, close to mint. feels heavier than my LB7s but is actually 7 grams lighter. a couple of questions: were all Sears 95416s 4 pin ? is it possible to put them in a time frame as to years of manufacture based on tang stamp or other particulars? when did Sears stop ordering these ?; and, the sheath with mine is a medium brown and on the back says "GENUINE LEATHER/U.S.A.", is this likely the original ? thanks, roland

Here is one I just got. In the box unused. I believe it was made by schrade because of the "S" shape. The number for it is 95044.

2049Craftsman_Stockman_1.jpg

here is 95045 (in pic. below). looks like same year (1977) with a different blade etch. v. nice knife. 2nd pic. shows what i think are 2 of it's close relatives: a Schrade/Walden/N.Y. U.S.A. reverse tang 881Y, and a Schrade/N.Y. U.S.A./885UH. measurements are the same; grinds a little different on the clip blades and the Craftsman at 88.4 grams weighs 5.4 g more than the 885UH and 6.8 grams more than the 881Y. i find the size and balance just perfect, but these are all mint (to me anyway) so i have another 881Y coming with the tang stamp mostly ground off. "stored in oil by grandpa who was a long time employee at the Schrade (or Schrade Walden ?) factory many years ago." whatever, i think i'll make that a user, because these knives really seem to want to do something. roland

I have always thought that this was a Schrade 8OT with rosewood scales. Anyone think I am right?

Attachments

• 000_1762.jpg
    000_1762.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 15
I have always thought that this was a Schrade 8OT with rosewood scales. Anyone think I am right?

I'm not sure of the Sears number on the tang but Camillus made the Woodcraft series and many were used as SFO's for Sears. In the 1990 Camillus catalog....

in the 1996 Camillus catalog...

And in the 1993 Sears catalog...

Most (not all) of the post mid-1980's Sears/Craftsman knives were made by Camillus. Yes, an Imperial, a buck, a Schrade, and even a Colonial slipped in. But under the guidence of Albert Baer, most were Camillus.

Hummm well it sure is not the first time I was wrong. I am getting used to it in fact.
Thanks for all the information.
This is a close up shot of the number on the tang. Is that a serial number?

Ed

Attachments

• 000_1764.jpg
    000_1764.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 17
It is Sears' stock number.

Here is a Sears 95236 which is positively a Camillus #7066.

These SFO knives are tricky, and hard to I.D. from just a photo, or even in hand if you do not have the manufacturer's production model to compare it to. And I'll be I've been wrong more often than you have. Especially on the Sears knives.

Michael

Hey guys, I have a 110 clone from Sears no. 95416 that I bought new around '97 and it has a silver colored pivot pin that is not buffed flush with the bolsters so I believe mine was made by Camillus. As for the sheath, I believe yours to be original to the knife because mine looks just like the way you described yours, russet brown with brass snap, genuine leather, USA on the belt loop on the back of the sheath.

My Dad has a pair of Sears stockmans with white/ yellow scales in SS he got with some tools at our local town Sears Store.

Back