Schrade USA 152 Sharpfinger

I just came across a Schrade Sharpfinger with USA 152 marked on the blade. Can anybody tell me what steel this knife is made with? Also any idea of the RC hardness on this one?
Thanks!

I would have to see the knife to say with certainty what steel it is. In the last two years (c. 2002-2004) Schrade switched the production from 1095 high carbon to stainless, almost always with a changed grind.

152otstainlessoct20008.jpg
Hi there is one of these stainless
152otstainlessoct20006.jpg
[/IMG]
chris

Chris, yes, I believe the upper one to be stainless. Your pictures clearly show the difference in the grind and the last vs. second tang stamp. WHere the physical difference of the two metals most often shows up first is around the exposed full tang between the handle covers. This is where a person't skin oils and acids usually touch the knife when it is handled. Of course the corrosion is usually minor discoloration, but it is there. This changeover was mentioned by production manager Tim Faust in this forum and again by the former Schrade Historian Ms. Chase. Those posts survive in the forum archives. The original steel is 1095HC and the newer steel is 440A I believe.

Hi thanks for the information. I do have a thread with a 154ot strange tang stamp, what are your thougths on the stamp.
chris

Back