Schrade-Walden NY USA 147 - need help dating

Hello all. I was directed to this forum to help identify this knife. i did a bit of research and here is what i know so far:

The name of the company change in 1947 to Shrade-Walden, at which point all knives were marked with this name. Knives with both "NY" AND "USA" inscribed were made between 46-73 and knives with JUST "NY" were anywhere between 46-50's.

my knife has NY USA with a model number following (147). i forget when they introduced the inscribed model number but i want to say it was in the 50's.

So basically this piece is somewhere between the 50's-76 but i would of course appreciate a more specific date :) thank you!
DSCN0043.JPG

DSCN0044.JPG

DSCN0045.JPG

almost: Schrade-Walden '46-'72
Schrade N.Y. U.S.A. '73- ?? (about '75 ?) this range is not 100% known
Schrade U.S.A. ~'75-2004

so yours is '46-'72, but are you sure it is 147 ?
others more familiar with the S-W fixed blades will be able to narrow that range using dates of production for that pattern.
roland

excellent thanks! any tips on cleaning this knife? it is quite rusted as the photos show.

any idea on the value?

thank you!

One like yours, but in "very good condition," recently sold on ebay for $13 plus shipping. If you used kerosene and steel wool to clean up the metal, and rubbed some sort of good leather dressing into the handle, it might come around enough to be worth sharpening and using. It is an excellent blade design, and good carbon steel that will take a razor edge. Look in the second hand shops for a servicable sheath. Now you might be in danger of taking an interest in more knives at this point.

My boys dug up a 498, many years ago when they were kids.
I replaced the leather handle with a home made leather handle & used it for years as a shop knife because, though deeply pitted, the blade took a razor edge and held it!

While your find may not be worth a lot of money, it is still what it was made to be: a good knife!

Dale

Back