Schrade Walden Stockman

Just got my Schrade Walden stockman (tang stamped SHRADE WALDEN NY. U.S.A.) from E-bay today. :) It's a model 880, 4 inches long, with jigged brown delrin scales. Has a little rust, but it should come off pretty easily. The side with the shield looks like it is loose a little, allowing some side-to-side main blade wiggle. I like the shield on the scales, and the main blade design is pretty nifty, too. It has the "toothy", long nail nick, and the top of the blade is slightly false-edged about 2/3s of the way down the blade. I wish I could post a picture, but I don't have the gear to do that. Over-all, a great knife! Only paid around $14 plus shipping for it. Sure would have liked to have gotten one new, though. Anyone have a guesstimate of it's age? Anyone else have one?

With delrin handles and the Schrade Walden tang stamp, your knife probably dates between about 1965 and 1973. The Schrade Walden tang stamp was used from after WWII until 1973. The 1950's to early 1960's models had jigged bone handles, the later ones had delrin. I have several in my collection in jigged bone, including one etched "CRAFTSMAN Professional Stock Knife". Schrade also made a great variation on htis pattern with a saber-ground master blade that was etched "KON-KAV". I really lusted after this particular variation as a kid because I thought that the saber ground blade would mah=ke it an ideal using knife. Never found one, though. I recently saw several of these mint in original boxes on EBAY, but was not successful in bidding.

Thanks, knifeaholic. That's around the time frame I guessed. It is a really great knife! I do wish it didn't have the loose side, but it didn't cost very much, and it's a good addition to my collection.

Back