Schrade Yeller Handles - Do I have one of each known model?

Here are the models I have. Know of any others? Also, does anyone know the story on the yellow 97OT... is this legit or an end of days knife?

yeller1s_zps7d0f881b.jpg

WELL NOW, I know they made a large yellow folding hunter in both single blade and double blade. The latter looks exactly like a really huge trapper with the customary clip and spey shaped blades.
I just spent a half hour looking through knife rolls for mine and so far have not found either !! GEESH !

Schrade3and9sixteenthsSerpentine.jpg

There is an 896Y in the Waynorth Museum. I've not seen to many of these

3/9/16" three bladed stockman

i've got a Schrade Heritage 896Y. like the way it feels in the hand, nice and solid. also have seen on here a yellow handled LB 7 but that i do not have.

Attachments

• H286 yellow handled folder 01.jpg
    H286 yellow handled folder 01.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 10
  • H286 yellow handled folder 02.jpg
    H286 yellow handled folder 02.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 11
  • H286 yellow handled folder 03.jpg
    H286 yellow handled folder 03.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 15
  • H286 yellow handled folder 04.jpg
    H286 yellow handled folder 04.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 12
Delmas, 896 is a weird number for a trapper pattern. Is it a 286??? Looks like it should be a 293. :confused:

uh well yes it is a 286! my only excuse is that i have been up all night working when typed that. duh. as one can plainly see on the last photo well not so plainly but near enough.

Delmas, 896 is a weird number for a trapper pattern. Is it a 286??? Looks like it should be a 293. :confused:

uh well yes it is a 286! my only excuse is that i have been up all night working when typed that. duh. as one can plainly see on the last photo well not so plainly but near enough.

I have to suggest that a triple check might be in order. I'm 99.9% sure the trapper pattern was a 296 not 286. The photo looks like 296 to me as well.

I have some yellow 881s in tubes, a very late NIB 8OTY and a yellow HO12.
The HO12 is a knife I have not seen before...Ken
medium

Last edited:
I have to suggest that a triple check might be in order. I'm 99.9% sure the trapper pattern was a 296 not 286. The photo looks like 296 to me as well.

For sure a 296Y Dave. Heritage number is H296. Delmas wrote H286 on the Photobucket label I think. You can see the little peak on the inside if the handle close to the blades. It's a long trapper, 4 1/8" closed, right Delmas?

Last edited:
Thanks, lrv. I will be searching for those two as well... and, by the way, thanks for collectors-of-schrades-r.us. What a wonderful resource. And thanks to all who took the time to look at this thread and provide info. The combined knowledge of the people here is really something special. You make knife collecting rewarding and fun for a novice like me.

yep just looked at it again, closely, and it is indeed H296. (and what is with the triple check, we watching too many commercials, lol)

For sure a 296Y Dave. Heritage number is H296. Delmas wrote H286 on the Photobucket label I think. You can see the little peak on the inside if the handle close to the blades. It's a long trapper, 4 1/8" close, right Delmas?

WELL NOW, I know they made a large yellow folding hunter in both single blade and double blade. The latter looks exactly like a really huge trapper with the customary clip and spey shaped blades.
I just spent a half hour looking through knife rolls for mine and so far have not found either !! GEESH !

I have never seen anything like that. I am hoping you find yours to show us. I do have examples of yellow celluloid hunters from the Schrade Cutco era, but they do not have a secondary spey blade; they look like latter-day hunters in that respect, having a slender clip blade often referred to as a "Turkish," "California clip," or even "skinning" blade. I have never seen a post-1946 yellow hunter, unless one counts the American Express yellow micarta Thomas Jefferson "scrimshaw" version of a 125OT. There were actually a hunter, the 504 before-mentioned, a clasp knife, an LB-7 version, and a barlow in that series. The celluloid, micarta and Delrin are all of course considerably different in hue and appearance.

Last edited:
I believe I have a Schrade Walden 896Y. Can't find much about them but a Google search brought this thread up. Is it rare? Hope some of the posters are still around on here. Kind of an old thread. Any help much appreciated.

I believe I have a Schrade Walden 896Y. Can't find much about them but a Google search brought this thread up. Is it rare? Hope some of the posters are still around on here. Kind of an old thread. Any help much appreciated.

I believe the 896Y is pretty rare. I don't think it was actually numbered as such. I'd like to see one to see if there is a pattern number on the back. If you find yours, I'd appreciate it.

Here is an 890Y and an 896Y. They both have their respective pattern numbers tang-stamped on the pile side of the master clip blade. The covers are celluloid, not Delrin. And definitely not derlin, Darlin'. :D

otlzt1.jpg

Here is an 890Y and an 896Y. They both have their respective pattern numbers tang-stamped on the pile side of the master clip blade. The covers are celluloid, not Delrin. And definitely not derlin, Darlin'. :D

otlzt1.jpg

Sweet! So it is an 896Y! Thanks Tongue!!!

Back