Screw driving knife?

I saw a picture of the BM Switchback today and had an idea.

Since many damaged knives are damaged by somebody using the tip of their blade as a screwdriver, would it make sense to have a folder with a couple screwdrivers on board?

I don't mean an "all in one" tool like a SAK or Leatherman, but a genuine locking one hand full-size folder that has one flat and one phillips driver that fold out of the butt.

Like the BM 921, but with actual tools instead of a second blade.

This way there would be no need to hurt a quality blade, and dedicated screw drivers work a whole lot better anyway.

If done correctly this should not cause any significant changes in the strength or comfort of the knife, and could offer a number of interesting new possibilities.

Does anybody else think this is something that manufacturers might want to look into?

I think it would change the strength of the knife because of the lateral motion needed to turn a screw.

Originally posted by fishbulb
Since many damaged knives are damaged by somebody using the tip of their blade as a screwdriver...
I can proudly say that not one of my knives (cutting tools) have broken by use as either screwdrivers or crowbars. There are some who might find your product idea cool.

I guess some "live on the edge." :)

Check out the Camillus Dura-tools: electrician, all trade, and workhorse knives. Click on Product Brands
Camillus, then Dura-Tool Series.

I carried an electrician knife in college. It was a solid utility knife, although I wish I had realized the cutting blade could have been sharper :D

Originally posted by Ron Andersen
I can proudly say that not one of my knives (cutting tools) have broken by use as either screwdrivers or crowbars. There are some who might find your product idea cool.

I guess some "live on the edge." :)

I've never understood people who want to turn screws with a fine knife, but it appears as though many do.

Thats why I always have a Leatherman Micra, it costs $16, weighs less than my keys, and will work much better in the role of screw driver than any real knife.

I didn't stutter & my glasses weren't fogged up! WRENCH! A Stinkin' WRENCH! :rolleyes: That's why you're #2!:D

Well, my wenches were always pretty sharp, and some of them even liked knives. Or tolerated them ... :)

It’s no Benchmade, but Meyerco did make a Blackie Collins designed knife called the Paradox, with a fold out screwdriver (with revisable Phillips/ standard bit). The bit holder doubled as a handle for a pair of light duty pliers.

MC-250.jpg

Good point. Thats an idea I've been working on. I show quarter horses and see people using knives to tighten chicago screws on their tack about 100 times every summer. I'm gonna try to incorporate a small slotted/flat blade screwdriver into some one handed folders and see how it works out.

You said not a SAK, but it seems to me that the Victorinox Trailmaster is pretty close to what you want.

Its not a bad idea, especially for those who feel compelled to ruin their blades by using them as screw drivers. Personally though I would not use mine as a screwdriver, I'd use a multi-tool, or a screwdriver instead.

Back