1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Screw question (restoring a 1997 Microtech)

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by JMFWSU, Jul 2, 2019.

1. JMFWSU

JMFWSU

Apr 23, 2002
    Hi,

I'm trying to find one site where I can order all the replacement screws for a 1997 Microtech SOCOM. The site im considering ordering from has 2-56 and 4-40 screws that use .050 hex drivers. That sounds like a small driver. Should I be able to snug up pocket clip screws ok with that? At least, the 1-72 socket screws use 1/16 hex drivers, which sounds more appropriate.
    In my research I found old Hinderer knives that used 2-56/.050 hex heads...just seems really small.

Thanks

2. eKretz

eKretz

Aug 30, 2009
    Do you really need to have hex heads? Torx heads are much more robust in my experience. I find that .050" hex heads are not very good in terms of longevity. If they seize up they very often break at the corners of the hex, making them impossible to remove with a wrench. Torx heads I haven't had this issue with.

3. JMFWSU

JMFWSU

Apr 23, 2002
    Some of the screws are odd sizes, and the only place that sells everything I need only has hex as an option. Otherwise I’d have to order from multiple sellers and pay a bit in shipping.