Seal Pup Sheathes

I picked up a Seal Pup pretty reasonable from some net dealer, it was only about $ 60 shipped. However the sheath doesn't look like the sheaths I saw in the pictures (including the description when I bought it :/). It's nylon with a kydex insert and has a BIG ole flap, which looks like it would be kind of annoying if it was not snapped closed. I bet you could be shot out of a circus cannon and not lose the knife in this sheath, but it might be a bit cumbersome day to day to unsnap that flap or have it flopping around all the time.

I have several survival sheath brand sheathes, but thought I would ask if you guys have any other suggestions. I'd prefer a sheath that has the handle extending above belt level and it would be better if it was molle compatible to I can put it on pack belt, but I guess the factory sheath would work for that.

edit-Er not sure this in the right section...

on the sog website under accessories they sell kydex. nylon, and leather sheathe for the seal pup i have the kydexand just ordered the nylon...the leather onel looks really sweet probably exactly what you want...25 bucks I'll probably end up gettting one as well....Let me know how you like the pup after you've given it some use.

I cut the flap off of mine, burnished the edge, and it works great.

Ditto. I did the same to my Seal Pup Elite. It originally came with a "Mauled" kydex sheath and the good people at SOG (after weeks of pleading) sent me the nylon one. I super glued the plastic insert into the sheath because it was falling out. I like it much better than the kydex version.

I think you will find to be jump rated knives need to (or at least used to need to) be secured by two closures (not quite sure how to articulate that, I hope it makes sense) hence the button and the kydex.

If you don't want the flap, and wearing it on a belt, fold the flap behind your belt and clip. This tucks it out of the way, but keeps it available should you need an extra level of retention later.

If you're attching to MOLLE gear, cut the flap and upgrade the strap.

SOG's Kydex sheath is for the birds.

MB

Back