Search BF with Google, Links, Online Survival Videos, and Wilderness Wiki Merged Here

For bowmaking,the 3 volume set of the Traditional Bowyer's Bible. There is none better, IMHO. They also have excellent chapters on hide glue making, arrowmaking, and cordage making. So, in fact, they are more of a survival/primitive skills book, than just bowmaking.

Doc

The United States Air Force Search And Rescue Survival Training Manual -- this is what SERE instructors need to know to teach the courses to the aircrew.

Dang, Magnussen, that's quite a list! (But somehow you managed to leave HuntFlix out of the "Videos" category.) :( :confused:

-- FLIX

Hey everyone,

On January 5th, I created Klippe, a wilderness and survival website designed to use communal power to create an excellent database of information useful to outdoor enthusiasts. Since then, I've been working on the site with three others, and things have been going very well.
Right now, we have:

• 16 Complete articles
  • 10 more under construction
  • 76 Photos
  • 6 Videos

This site uses Wiki software, so anyone at all can edit and create articles or upload media. I highly encourage everyone to add something.
A couple of members here have already contributed photos and video (K_estella and cutlerylover). You can see how their media really made the respective articles:
http://funditor.110mb.com/wiki/index.php/Twist_Bread
http://funditor.110mb.com/wiki/index.php/Flint_and_Steel_Firestarter

You are welcome to add just about anything related to the outdoors: Encyclopedic articles on wilderness skills and tools, personal stories, reviews of gear you own, and information and pictures on places you've been (pitdog?) are all welcome; if you've already written something here, feel free to post it on Klippe. You do not need to sign up to edit, but I highly encourage you to do so because there is a messaging system there to help people communicate.

You can give yourself full credit to any photos or video that you put onto Klippe and/or link back to your own website from there. The same goes for any personal accounts (a knife review for example) that you post, since they will not be edited by other people. If you would like to submit media for use there, but don't have the time to do it yourself, please just e-mail me the file at funditor.info@gmail.com.

Here is an outline of the type of information we'd like to compile:

• Navigation
  • Information on Maps
  • How to read a map
  • Information on compasses
  • Using a compass with a map
  • Navigating by celestial bodies
    o Navigating by Sun
    o Navigating by Moon
    o Navigating by Stars

Gear
  • Reviews of any equipment
  • Gear you should carry
    o Basics
    o For mountainous terrain
    o For snowy terrain
    o For permanently wet environments
    o For permanently dry environments

Packing
  • How to load a day pack
  • How to load a kayak/canoe
  • How to load a pack animal

Fire
  • Fire basics
  • Modern fire starters
  • Primitive fire starters
    o Flint and Steel
    o Bow Drill
    o Hand Drill
    o Fire Plow
    o Fire Thong
    o Fire Piston
    o Fire from Ice
  • Tinder and Kindling
  • Types of fires
  • Simple Fire Starting

Cooking
  • Nutrition Information
  • Food to pack
  • Edible plants
  • Modern stoves and how to use them
  • Primitive cooking methods
  • Dutch Oven Cooking
  • Reflector Oven Cooking
  • Recipes

Shelter
  • Selecting places to sleep
  • Modern shelters
    o Tents
    o Tarps
    o Bivy sacks
  • Primitive shelters
    o Debris huts
    o Scout pits
    o Snow shelters

Environment
  • Reading weather signs
  • Understanding geographical features
  • Wildlife
    o Mammals
    o Birds
    o Reptiles
    + Snakes
    o Amphibians
  • Fungi
    o Edible mushrooms
    o Dangerous mushrooms
  • Plants
    o Trees and their uses
    o Other plants and their uses
    o Edible plants

First Aid
  • Cuts
  • Bone fractures and sprains
  • Hypothermia
  • Heat Stroke
  • Burns

Survival
  • Signaling
  • Leading a group in a survival situation
  • Hunting
    o Traps and deadfalls
    o Snares
    o Primitive Weapons
    + Sling
    + Throwing Stick
  • Water and its purification

General Knowledge
  • Knots to know
  • Recreation
    o Slinging
    o Games to play while on the trail
    o Photography

If you know anything about any of these categories, you are welcome at Klippe! Your writing doesn't have to be long, and you don't need to be a complete expert. If you start an article and include a bit of solid information, more people will add to it and further develop it; one good paragraph can evolve into a comprehensive article.

We can still take two more administrators on board, so if you're interested in that, please just let me know.

The link to share this site with your friends is:
http://klippe.funditor.org

khuk15.jpg

Conch7.jpg

Khukuri173.jpg

We can turn Klippe into a complete resource for outdoor enthusiasts. Let's make this happen!

Best regards,

CanDo

If the question arises, yes a member here had already created an outdoor-themed wiki. When I created Klippe a few weeks ago, there was only one article there, and no edits had been made for over a month so I assumed it was abandoned. Since Jan 18th it's been rekindled, and I encourage everyone to check it out and contribute there as well, as it appears to target a slightly different audience: http://wiki.goingprepared.com/index.php?title=Main_Page.

The software is familiar. :D

I don't see any reference to funding or advertising at this time.
So, I'm going to sticky this for now, to get maximum exposure.

The software is familiar. :D

I don't see any reference to funding or advertising at this time.
So, I'm going to sticky this for now, to get maximum exposure.

Awesome, thank you very much!!

Here's our official donation's page text:

We do not accept donations. Instead, please contribute to any area in which you have knowledge. This is a large-scale, community-based project so information is far more important than money.

This is a very excellent and long overdue idea, great job. I'm excited to see the contribution of all the knowledgeable folks here.

This is a very excellent and long overdue idea, great job. I'm excited to see the contribution of all the knowledgeable folks here.

Thanks for the complement, but.... Wrong Attitude!! ;) You don't need to have spent a month fending off jaguars and botflies in one of the last places known to man to contribute. If you are here reading the "Wilderness and Survival" forum, you know more about the woods than 99% of the American urban population, and are well able to add something. And with more than 1000 posts on bladeforums, I'd be willing to bet that you know something about knives!

As an example of how much we already know: a lot of us have read those "Bic vs. Butane" threads. A quick article on "Lighters" that briefly sums up the pros and cons of each would be a great way to kick that section off.

Exactly! In fact, putting up anything is just the start. You may not feel you have a lot to contribute, but a starter article makes it much easier for others to come in and edit in more material.

I just got a good suggestion: "The thread on survival kits might be appropriate for a sticky as well (I search for it every once and a while), I believe it has had more views than some of the items that currently up there."

What I would like to see, instead of a sticky for a specific thread that someone would have to read through, is that thread edited into a wiki article.

If each of us would pick an article and post what they found here on the topic, the wiki would balloon quickly into a major resource.

Back