Searching for the perfect watch...

Matt,

Here are a couple to go with:
* The Casio analog/digital combo diver's watch with the gold face and black rubber band. Costco has these in the $50 range. I get more compliments on it than any other watch I own. I think the model number is AW320.
* Casio G-Shock. They recently came out with a version that's blue with analog/digital combo. 100% digital watches are a bit dorky for my taste.
* Rolex Submariner, stainless. This has been, is, and shall be quite simply the most classic and recognizable watch in the world. Holds its $2K+ value very well also.
* I hear that Luminox's movement (the internal parts) doesn't hold up over time and that the rubber band is uncomfortable. Also, I think the "Navy SEALS" on the face is a bit obnoxious.

Re: the Luminox posted above: Great watch. Much brighter than the Hesco I had before. Thinner too. Beautiful blue dial. I would prefer a silver finish to the muted Titanium grey, but that is not a big deal. Quality band.

I am really impressed with this watch. And I think it is a good deal at $131 shipped.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Ned,

Could you tell me a bit more about the St. Moritz? I was especially interested in how the blackout technology works (is it similar to indiglo?). And how comfortable is the kevlar band that comes with it? The reason I ask is that I currently have a Swiss Army Starlight, and the band chafes a bit (yes, I got it fitted), which irritates my arm.

And one final question, from whom did you purchase it?

thanks for the info,
Aabeen

Well, I am still looking. You guys have given me a lot of good information. Unfortunately, the more I look the more I want to bump up my budget. (hmmmm.. I am beginning to see a pattern here...)

Thanks...

--Matt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aabeen:
Ned,

Could you tell me a bit more about the St. Moritz? I was especially interested in how the blackout technology works (is it similar to indiglo?). And how comfortable is the kevlar band that comes with it? The reason I ask is that I currently have a Swiss Army Starlight, and the band chafes a bit (yes, I got it fitted), which irritates my arm.

And one final question, from whom did you purchase it?

thanks for the info,
Aabeen
</font>

Sorry it took so long to reply. The Kevlar band has a soft leather lining. It is very comfortable. I has molded to my wrist and fits very snuggly without chaffing. Worst case you could slip on a NATO band, and you'd be good to go. They also have leather bands as an option rather than Kevlar.

The Blackout is an Indiglo type system. It is strong for abut 4 hours and then is noticeably dimmer. Depending on what kind of light you "charge" it with it can be too dim to read after about 6-7 hours... simialr to other luminous dials. I would say it's the watch's weakest aspect.

I bought it from St Moritz's US store North of Seattle somewhere via email with excellent service. I went through the following link:

http://www.britton.com/Catalog_f.htm

Good luck.

I second the Seiko 200m auto divers, I've got one and couldn't want for anything more, apart from a Kobold etc

Luminox 1561.

View

I just ordered it.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Rick Gray - Left Handers Unite

[This message has been edited by RGRAY (edited 06-15-2001).]

For me, THIS ONE is perfect!:

b3105.jpg

Luminox model 3105.
smile.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
<A HREF="mailto:glockman99@hotmail.com
glockman99@yahoo.com">glockman99@hotmail.com
glockman99@yahoo.com</A>
ICQ# 53675663

There seems to be a lot of this going around but I also, after several days of reading posts on BF have ordered a Luminox 3100 series watch. I got the one with the blue face.

I looked at a lot of them and this one seemed best all around for what I wanted.

go to www.kienzle.com they have some neat swiss or german made watches in the 2-300 dollar range - check out the diving watches (some are oil filled) and the atlantis, a copy of the panarai, a really neat watch, 44mm in size, looks almost exactly like a pan, which run about 2-3K - and they are good watches - the prices are listed in euro dollars, so be sure and convert - but i have heard they are excellent watches for the money a lot of guys on watchzone are buying them

sifu

if price is no object, get a rolex GMT/GMT11/submariner/seadweller - all are great, run about $3500 new, have seen as low a s1500 but rarely - more around 2K - they rule though, and ya will always get your $$ out of them, unless ya tear them up of course- and i would get the stainless, personally - though the 18K is nice too

sifu

It seems you can't beat a Luminox.
smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by RGRAY (edited 06-15-2001).]

Rick,

Been wearing my #3202 just finishing up the second day. I really love this watch! I have two others and a nice Seiko. This one isn't coming off anytime soon.

Short of true exotic watches (exotic=expensive...Rolex, Breitling, Patek Philippe, etc.), Luminox just can't be beat!

Ron

Ron,

That #3202 is really nice.

I guess I just like black [my next
wink.gif
).

View

------------------

I've been using a yellow face Luminox for the last three years without fail. I noticed that they are affiliated with Microtech. Not sure if it's the same one that makes the knives or not.
I put watches through stress. Stress being defined as everything that is nasty, cold, wet, hot, humid, dry, bloody, and causing shock. The Luminox holds up. For a mid-cost function built watch, they are my bet. Them little Swiss folk can build a watch.
One note. If you are going to be sneaking an d peaking in the dark, cover the face with a piece of black or green duct tape. Otherwise you are sniper bait.
Best
recondoc

------------------
Semper Fi!
Corpsman Up! Answering the call for 103 years.
Proud member of PETA (People For The Eating of Tasty Animals)

...Or ya can get one of those black cordura "commando" watchbands with the piece that lays over the face of the watch (via velcro) for "protection".
smile.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
<A HREF="mailto:glockman99@hotmail.com
glockman99@yahoo.com">glockman99@hotmail.com
glockman99@yahoo.com</A>
ICQ# 53675663

When I was somewhat younger I went on a 1 year quest for the perfect watch. This was going to be the best-something I could hand down to my son. Every weekend I'd clip the watch ads from the NY Times Sunday subliment-I haunted Jewelry shops-sought opinions ect. At long last I picked the Mavado Museum Watch. I figured if it was good enough for MOMA, it was good enough for me. One of my bar customers knew a Jeweler who got it for me wholesale for $190. For maybe 25 years I wore it day and night-good times and bad-only off my wrist a few times when I had to pawn it. About 5 years ago, a knowledgable friend asked to see it and informed me that because it was gold and a wind up it was worth $1400. Suddenly it was no longer just a watch, but something I had to be careful of-a dress watch. Thus began a second quest-a perfect everyday watch. Current choices are a vintage gold Waltham ($50 eBAY plus $60 restoring) and a SS Seiko Cronograph-wholesale $100. While they are each nice watches, they don't give me the kick my Mavado did. The quest continues.

James,
Fortis 595.18.41 Pilot Professional PVD Day/Date with opional black bracelet and clear back (to watch the movement).
eek.gif

IMHO, THE PERFECT WATCH !

View

------------------

[This message has been edited by RGRAY (edited 06-20-2001).]

Back