Seattle knife laws...

bae

Apparently, while Wasington State is fairly lax as far as knife laws go, Seattle has banned folding knives over 3.5", and apparently all fixed-blade knives. Is this for real? Do they enforce this?

I find it silly that I can carry a few concealed handguns no problem, but my poor Spyderco Endura gets me in trouble.

SMC 12A.14.010 Definitions.

The following definitions apply in this chapter:

A. "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other
knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches (31/2")
in length.

B. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade
length, with a blade which is permanently open and does not fold,
retract or slide into the handle of the knife, and includes any
dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, axe, straight-edged
razor, or razor blade not in a package, dispenser or shaving
appliance.

[...]

SMC 12A.14.080 Unlawful use of weapons.

It is unlawful for a person knowingly to:

A. Sell, manufacture, purchase, possess or carry any blackjack,
sand-club, metal knuckles, switchblade knife, chako sticks, or
throwing stars; or

B. Carry concealed or unconcealed on his or her person any
dangerous knife, or carry concealed on his or her person any
deadly weapon other than a firearm; or

[...]

Yeah, but you are licensed to carry a handgun, but any fool can carry a knife... after all they want to give you permission to carry anything usefull. I don't like the SPD anyway...

Steve

Marty Hayes (Firearms Academy of Seattle) routinely gets questions about blade laws in Washington from students -- particularly in the Knife/Counterknife course. After he spoke with a number of City and County Attorneys, many expressed the same sentiment that if one had a Washington CPL (Concealed Pistol License) they would be inclined NOT to prosecute for violation of a blade ordinance. OTOH, whatever comfort one might derive from this, I wouldn't volunteer to be a test case, and a negative attitude can get one far deeper in than a flagrant violation of the law.

Not only is my Benchmade 806D2 a "dangerous knife" that I'm not supposed to carry in Seattle, RCW 9.41.250 says . . . Every person who shall . . . have in his possession any . . . any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position . . . by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement . . . shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. The blade of my 806D2 is easily ejected into position by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement :eek:

On the other hand, its an excuse to get another knife with a 3.49" blade.

You have to see them to believe them.

Seattle is the only place in the country where you can have 5 eyewitnesses see the mayor get nailed by a bullhorn wielding whacko at a public event and the jury is hung by two people who just can't believe this "fine' man of their community could or would do such a thing....new trial!

OK what about batons?:confused: :confused:

It's a good thing these folks were not around when the settlers were making a city out of the wilderness....the bears would have won!

Signed....amazed once again!

LMAO!! HaHaHaHaHaHeeHeeHeeHoHoHoHo :D :D :D :D

They really shound not put stories like that on the radio for innocent folks, like me, to hear while driving the car, almost drove off the road laughing so hard when I heard that story. Cell phones have nothing over stupid Seattle whacko's for causing traffic problems. Wait they may be one and the same.:eek:

I have to say that, while I'm not in Seattle (think goodness), I still think is better than living in or near Washington D.C. Not much I'm sure, but still a little bit better, at least they didn't elect a crackhead for a mayor, TWICE, after his conviction.

Oh, BTW, the cities of Tacoma, and Seatac, also prohibit knives with blades 3.5" or longer.

What is the WA state law or where can I find it? I live in Bellingham and want to stay inside the law when carrying a knife especially since I do not want to lose my CPL.

I am not even sure I should be carrying around the Kershaw/ Ken Onion knife I just bought.

Thanks

I clicked on the search button (above right) and searched for "Washington" in the subject or topic line of threads in the Knife Laws forum. Here are the RESULTS

The Washington statute I paraphrased above is R.C.W. 9.41.250 which says:

RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons -- Penalty.

Every person who:

(1) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(2) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(3) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(My italics)

Wow! I guess there is something good to be said about California after all. At least we can still carry folders unrestricted in size. Most places in California haven't yet made crimminals out of us for carring an unconcealed fixed blade. Who would have thought we'de be better off than Seattle?

Back