Sebenza 31 Converts?

Modernflame

Gold Member
Now that the 31 has enjoyed several years of successful production, are there any converts among you? Maybe you were a stalwart 21 proponent, but now 31s have joined the rotation? Perhaps, like me, you've even come to prefer the new knife? Or are you still carrying the flame for old faithful?

Took me a bit but the 31 has become my favorite Sebenza. I’m also not getting rid of my 21 or regular for what it’s worth.

Magnacut has also been the most noticeable upgrade for my use but I preferred the 31 around the S45vn upgrade.

No Sebenza ever becomes obsolete

I carried a large KA 21 for the better part of a decade. I put that knife through hell over the years. Taken cars apart at junkyards, drywalled a couple of houses, cut shingles and tarpaper while reroofing a couple of houses. Never had a better pocket pal.
That was what originally sold me on CRK. The whole "Sebenza means work" bit really wasn't kidding and when the day called for dirty and tough, the 21 met it. Still cleaned up quite well after, to boot.
I've never trusted a knife like I do that one. Recently a 31 finally wooed me and I retired the 21. So far, I like it. Still breaking in, so is noticeably stiffer and such, but thats fine. I know we are still just getting to know each other. Things take time. I am looking forward to putting it to some real proper use and seeing how it does through those paces. Lockup is every bit as tight and there isn't a single thing that gives me pause from the changes. I'll let you know in a decade or so how they compare, but so far I'm real happy w/ it and the changes feel like actual improvements rather than cost saving measures.

Recent pic of ol' trusty right before retirement:
aw7cLjc.png

Still looking for a chance to get my hands on a 31 before deciding whether or not to buy.

I'm intrigued by the 'zaan...I don't think I "need" an Inkosi. (I'm sure I'm wrong, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it...for now.)

I'm not sure I need a 'zaan either...but as I say...intrigued. Plus it possesses the missing blade profile.

I haven’t replaced any of my 21’s with 31’s, just like I didn’t replace my 25’s with inkosi’s. It’s only logical to own a 31 if there’s one I’d like to have, case in point, I really like boomerang Damascus and wanted one.
For me, I see the the 31 as an integration of the 25/inkosi and 21 all in one knife. You get the ceramic ball lock, bushing system, solid presentation side rolled into one knife.

I'm intrigued by the 'zaan...I don't think I "need" an Inkosi. (I'm sure I'm wrong, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it...for now.)

I'm not sure I need a 'zaan either...but as I say...intrigued. Plus it possesses the missing blade profile.

I came from over +1.5 years of EDCing my DP s35vn zaan since 03/21, until I made the swap to my current damascus Large 31 in 11/22. I'm currently 231 straight days of EDCing my Large 31 and am trying to hit (1) straight year of carry. Figured it would be somthing fun to try and to stick with it.

A CRK has been in my pocket 99% of time since late 2008. I've carried small Sebenzas 21 (DP, insingos), Large Regular , Large 21 DP, Small Inkosi (DP, insingos) and a DP Zaan. I find that over the past few years, I've graviated towards larger knives for EDC tasks.

The L31 has grown on me, and will always have a place in my heart. It is THE iconic flag ship model that CRK is known for, and still retains the "soul" of the original, but has been upgraded through the times. To me, it feels more like a "refined" version of my Large Regular or my Large 21. After I hit the 1 year, I will rotate out the L31 and plan to start carrying my new Zaan I have waiting for me. (OD Green Magnacut, - Northwest Knives Exclusive). The overall astehtics, feel and features of the Zaan, FOR ME, are ideal, and I look forward on returning back to it and rotating the L31 for special ocations.

However, my opions can change, as I still have another (5) months of carry...

Since I am obviously having some sort of a breakdown this week I bit the bullet and joined the L31 club. It will be my first Magnacut and I look very much to seeing what these latest versions are about.

Since I am obviously having some sort of a breakdown this week I bit the bullet and joined the L31 club. It will be my first Magnacut and I look very much to seeing what these latest versions are about.
Congrats! Will be interested to hear your thoughts.

I just pulled the trigger on an S45 DP Zaan. For science, of course. Never carried that one or that steel, so it was obviously a necessary purchase.

Back