Sebenza Edge Angle

What angle do you sharpen your Sebenza to? I am going to reprofile my Sebenza so I thought I'd ask all of you to see what you prefer.

I prefer 20 per side, but some like it a bit lower at around 17. As long as you're 20 or a bit under it'll slice great and be easy to maintain on a sharpmaker. Even at steeper angles of 23-25 per side it still cuts well due to how thin it is behind the edge and the hollow grind of course.

I asked another member who also mentioned 17 degrees. I may have to try 18. I was thinking 20 initially buy folks seem to like it a bit less so I'll reconsider.

im going to disassemble, clean, and sharpen my Sebenza!

Just remember, once you take off steel, you can't put it back on. Go with your gut feeling. Then you can always go down a degree or two if 20 isn't cutting it for you.

"Sebenzas are sharpened at 19-20 degrees. We recommend the Spyderco Sharpmaker because it is so easy to use."
-Anne Reeve, 10/19/98

Something worth considering, Cheesehead.

I really like taking them just down to 18 degrees. Better slicing performance without ending up with a really wide thinned out bevel.

I did mine with a 20dps and went with the diamonds from 400 all the way to ceramics 1600, then when using the strops 5/3.5 and 1/0.5, I drop 1dps. Minimum wastage as the factory edge is at 20dps. The pointy point is also maintained.

Sebenza's with the new heat treat can handle an edge angle of 30 degrees inclusive just fine.

Sebenza's with the new heat treat can handle an edge angle of 30 degrees inclusive just fine.

My small sebenza with the "older" heat treat handles 30 degrees on the Sharpmaker as well. I finish with a 3 swipes on 40 degrees for a microbevel.

I really like taking them just down to 18 degrees. Better slicing performance without ending up with a really wide thinned out bevel.

Same as Halden for me...18 degrees on Wicked Edge has been my standby for a long time. For me it's the best combination of sharpness and edge retention.

Back