Sebenza Flipper?

trackstar55

Gold Member
Has their ever been discussion on a Chris Reeve Sebenza (large or small) FLIPPER?

I’m not saying I am the smartest man in the world, but it seem like it would be a hit. I know they are pumping out regular ones as fast as they can and maybe they don’t have time for a new design.

OR has Chris Reeve even talked about the topic?

I really don’t see the need for it. Too much competition and other companies making good affordable flippers.

CRK would have to sink a lot of money into designing and production and I don’t see it being beneficial for them.

It's pretty apparent that one of Chris Reeve's core values has always been purposeful and mindful opening of his knives for USE cutting/slicing things. I can remember seeing an interview where Reeve says his knives weren't designed to become "prayer beads" for his customers.

Flippers tend to become like fidget toys for a lot of ELU's. I'm not disrespecting flipping mechanisms...I love em! I have a Smock & an Ikuchi that I incessantly fondle and flip. :thumbsup:

Of course, I realize Chris Reeve Knives is evolving-- so there's always a chance....however slim.

Things I’ve learned, never say never. CRK dances to the beat of their own drum.
I can only hope and pray CRK chooses to stay on the path that has been the foundation for their success.

Under Chris it was a definite no. Under Tim I have no idea. He may be a flipper freak, but I would prefer they don't go that way.
Tim seems to prefer other forms of social media to this forum, so our members that are on those would know his feelings on this better than I.

This is semi relevant, didn't want to make new thread on this but what's the stance on flicking open Sebenzas and Inkosi's with the thumb studs these days? Does it actually wear anything down? Is it not recommended?

This is semi relevant, didn't want to make new thread on this but what's the stance on flicking open Sebenzas and Inkosi's with the thumb studs these days? Does it actually wear anything down? Is it not recommended?
Believe it is hard flips and continuous opening and closing(using knife in place of worry beads) that were discouraged on the Sebenza and I presume Inkosi also. Seems like a lot of makers that claimed this did no damage are now going to steel inserts-coincidence

I found Shirogorov to be the CRK of flippers. Design, quality, and execution is simply amazing. If you are used to CRK quality and want something to flip, get a Shiro :)

47502662702_6110c63eb2_b.jpg

Got a nice set of juzu (Buddhist prayer beads) and a bali-yo. Don't need a flipper or ball bearings in my Sebenzas.

I wouldn't mind the functional reliability and mechanical simplicity of a CRK combined with a flipper. Every time my hands are wet and I am carrying my Inkosi I wish I instead had my Shiro on me. I am worried I'll drop the knife, cut myself if I slip, and otherwise have a hell of a time with the small thumb stud.

All other times I love the Inkosi's smooth opening. Wet hands, and I'm searching for something else (with a flipper).

I have a sebenza where it seems like a previous owner who was flicking the knife open very hard actually wore a tiny flatter spot on the stop pin collar. (Sebenzas have a metal “donut” that goes around the stop pin).

As the knife is open and closed the stop pin collar rotates and occasionally that flat spot will be in position where the blade locks up against it causing some up and down bladeplay. So it is apparently possible to cause an issue by flicking the Sebenza very very hard. (It is a large 21 so the blade is heavier too causing a flick to impart more force) It actually came back from CRK with this issue so they probably didn’t notice since the stop pin collar has to be rotated just right for it to happen.

I have also heard the idea that since the stop pin is shouldered against the titanium scales; the stop pin can push against the softer Ti when the knife is flicked very hard causing some compression of the ti causing an issue that way. Not sure how true this is given Ti tends to have good memory so might just spring back to shape after being forced against by a flicking blade. This plus the fact Ti is softer might act to cushion the blow? IDK that’s all speculations.

That said I have flicked my other Sebenzas open with no issues. I imagine the previous owner of my faulty one was probably giving very hard wrist action while flicking it open. So if you’re going to flick your CRKs please avoid giving it a hard wrist flick when you do.

I have a sebenza where it seems like a previous owner who was flicking the knife open very hard actually wore a tiny flatter spot on the stop pin collar. (Sebenzas have a metal “donut” that goes around the stop pin).

As the knife is open and closed the stop pin collar rotates and occasionally that flat spot will be in position where the blade locks up against it causing some up and down bladeplay. So it is apparently possible to cause an issue by flicking the Sebenza very very hard. (It is a large 21 so the blade is heavier too causing a flick to impart more force) It actually came back from CRK with this issue so they probably didn’t notice since the stop pin collar has to be rotated just right for it to happen.

I have also heard the idea that since the stop pin is shouldered against the titanium scales; the stop pin can push against the softer Ti when the knife is flicked very hard causing some compression of the ti causing an issue that way. Not sure how true this is given Ti tends to have good memory so might just spring back to shape after being forced against by a flicking blade. This plus the fact Ti is softer might act to cushion the blow? IDK that’s all speculations.

That said I have flicked my other Sebenzas open with no issues. I imagine the previous owner of my faulty one was probably giving very hard wrist action while flicking it open. So if you’re going to flick your CRKs please avoid giving it a hard wrist flick when you do.

Awesome Thankyou very much for the info Lapedog.
I've just picked up my first and it's impossible to flick open anyway I would really need to release tension on blade. Not something I'd be doing anytime soon I'm happy with the way this opens and closes anyway. Love it.

Awesome Thankyou very much for the info Lapedog.
I've just picked up my first and it's impossible to flick open anyway I would really need to release tension on blade. Not something I'd be doing anytime soon I'm happy with the way this opens and closes anyway. Love it.

Over time it will break in and you will be able to flick it out. My small 21 was almost unflickable when I first got it and now flicks like a champ.

Btw I think flicking sebenzas is actually fine under most cases. It is only giving it super hard wrist action while flicking that I might be worried about. In truth I would avoid flicking any knife in this fashion though.

Good post ^^^...

Question: Does Titanium "work harden" with use or is that just an urban legend? o_O

Chris Reeve has forgotten more about his knives than most everyone here on CRK forum knows, and he was very much against flicking...I don't recall him ever going into specifics as to why...but I remember during an interview, he said flicking was permissible after reassembly to check that nothing was pinched or misaligned....I always took his word on it, and figured he knew best.

Question: Does Titanium "work harden" with use or is that just an urban legend?
If you bend ti back and forth it will snap. So yea, but it's not going to fail unless you purposely do so, so it's not likely on a frame lock unless you over extended the lockbar out too far a bunch of times.

Back