Sebenza Scales... polished to a satin finish?

Hi guys.

Is it possible to have the Sebenza scales polished to a more satin/smooth finish than the standard bead blasted finish? I really do not like the texture of the standard finish. I spent a few days rubbing my scales against blue jean material to smooth them out, but I'm curious if I could get them to match closer to my Titanium Pen or Titanium Preon 2 in the following picture:

edc002.jpg

Does anyone know anyone that performs this service?

Thank you!

if you polish your scales it will void the warranty i believe. NO I apoligize i take that back as long a your not grinding and altering it there shoudnt be a problem

Last edited:
Get some green Scotch Brits pads and smooth them away. Take the knife apart and make sure you polish in the same direction for a uniform finish, use water. If you want a mirror shine, use high grit sandpaper or Emory cloth.

As far as voiding your warranty, it's your knife and as long as it isn't drastic, beadblasting will bring the scale back...regardless, it's your knife, do what you like.

My small Insingo has been Scotch brited because I prefer the pocket worn warm look.

I dislike the scotchbrite treatment as it leaves the knife "slippy" in hand, while the blasted finish gives it some grip. Just speaking from experience......In the end, its your knife, do what you want with it.

Last edited:
If I was going to change the original blasted finish to anything it would be a tumbled finish. A true satin finish does look good, but on Ti you will have to re-do it after not too long or just put up with the scratches. The forced pocket wear "dirty scotch" finish is not my thing at all and I personally think it looks awful.

Its possible yes, after my scales were covered in scratches I took steel wool to the finish and smoothed it out then dropped them in the tumbler for a stonewashed finish. I love this look and it hides wear well. Tom is correct though, it makes the knife smoother than a blasted finish but thats a individual like and dislike issue.

Regarding the comment about the warranty thats not correct, I have had a few stonewashed knives service no problem at all.

785551bd.jpg

456d2b2d.jpg

59aa72b5.jpg

Last edited:
CRK sand blasts the scales. Bead blasting smooths them out nicely, and that tumbled finish looks fantastic. If you want them bead blasted PM me or drop me a email an I can do them free of charge, i've done a few for people here and they really liked them.

Some of mine that I did.
001-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

001-2.jpg

007.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks ATony. I see you're in Indiana too! I appreciate the offer greatly and may take you up on it.

In looking at the different options available I don't really care for the scotchbrite treatment, the bead blasted looks really good, but I love that tumbled look.

How could I go about getting that done if I don't have a tumbler? How much did you steel wool it and how hard was the clip to do?

As far as smoothness goes, that is exactly what I'm looking for. My favorite knives (before my Insingo) were knives with polished carbon fiber scales (Spyderco Caly 3 CF).

Glad to see so many folks are open to customizing the look (and feel) of their CRKs.

Thanks ATony. I see you're in Indiana too! I appreciate the offer greatly and may take you up on it.

In looking at the different options available I don't really care for the scotchbrite treatment, the bead blasted looks really good, but I love that tumbled look.

How could I go about getting that done if I don't have a tumbler? How much did you steel wool it and how hard was the clip to do?

As far as smoothness goes, that is exactly what I'm looking for. My favorite knives (before my Insingo) were knives with polished carbon fiber scales (Spyderco Caly 3 CF).

Glad to see so many folks are open to customizing the look (and feel) of their CRKs.

Drop me a PM I can stonewash it for free of charge.

Thx
Greg

Thank you for the offer GunSmoke, but I can't send PMs and you don't have the email option.

Any chance you could shoot me an email?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
gunsmoke and atony - those handles look fantastic! I personally don't like how the scotch brite pads make titanium look.

I have done a tumbled finish with nothing more than a plastic jar, rocks, and a little dish soap, shake,shake,shake and shake some more. It worked pretty well, If you want those results i'd hit GunSmoke up, your arm will thank you for it.

That's the beauty of Ti you really can't screw it up too bad, you don't like how something turned out just reblast it.

Thanks Rico.

Last edited:
I like almost all finishes on a Sebenza, but taking sand paper/scotch brite pads to a new finish just does it for me
DSC04448.jpg

Like lemmuhj I too enjoy all sorts of finishes, including factory, on the Ti scale. I've sent several knives to CRK with these types of finishes and have never had an issue with warranty.

Here are two examples I did with a combo of wet/dry and scotchbright.

4715083111_ae9dedfc62_b.jpg

4632969000_4fc31dff7d_b.jpg

Okay, I'll have to admit those last few pics look good. I guess I should rephrase to say that when I do the scotch brite on Ti it doesn't look good. ;)

I dislike the scotchbrite treatment as it leaves the knife "slippy" in hand, while the blasted finish gives it some grip. Just speaking from experience......In the end, its your knife, so what you want with it.

I second this notion. What you may gain in appearance you may lose in gripability especially when wet.

A few years ago I gave the Scotch Brite treatment a try. Long story short, I didn`t like the outcome very much. The titanium just wasn`t good for a uniform look. Plus the scales felt too slick for me. I sent the knife in and had CRK put on the original blasted finish.

I haven`t handled a knife with a tumbled finish so far, but I really like the look.

Back