Sebenza thumb stud crack?

Hello
I recently purchased my first Sebenza second hand (1997 model) and after examining the whole knife closely i found that there is a hairline crack or cut right above the thumb stud. Is this a defect (crack) or a very small cut to allow the thumb stud to enter into the hole? If it is a defect, is it possible to get the blade replaced, even on a second hand knife? If yes, how much would it cost?

Achim

I would address this directly to CRK. You can find contact information at:

http://www.chrisreeve.com

Sounds unusual to me. Are you positive it is a crack, and not just a deep scratch?

Brandon

[This message has been edited by Elvislives (edited 03-20-2001).]

Brandon, it is definitely a crack (or cut) running from the back of the blade to the stud hole. It is visible on both sides and on the back of the blade without any interruption. In the meantime i had the possibility to take a look at it with a 30x microscope and it is safe to say that it's a hairline crack. It is very straight but still not straight enough and way too thin to be cut with, say, a laser.
Besides being a knife collector i am an experienced knifemaker and i know the difference between a crack and a scratch all too well.
I have picked up your suggestion and sent an email directly to CRK. I am very interested in their response and will keep you updated.

Achim

There was a thread on this a while ago on the CRK forum over at knifeforums. Seems there were some thumbstuds that were too large for the hole and would cause the blade to crack over time.

archieblue, yes, the thumb stud seems to be made from titanium.

JoHnYKwSt seems to be right. After emailing with CRK it seems that i have one of these knives.

By the way, what a SERVICE at CRK! Fastest email response i ever had from any company. Very friendly and helpfull. Seems that this is a guarantee fix. Sent off the knife to CRK to check it.

Achim

[This message has been edited by AchimW (edited 03-22-2001).]

I had the same problem a while back. I had an early numbered model Sebbie and I sent it back. A few weeks later a brand new looking Sebenza came back to me. The put a new blade in it and refurbished it. All for free. Another reason why I now have 6 CRK's.
michael
biggrin.gif

------------------
"For the Word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword."
Heb. 4:12

Usual Suspect
Its an Emerson thing. You wouldn't understand.

Hi all!

Just want to keep you informed.

I just got my sebbie back from CRK. New blade, new screws. Fast and reliable service. Superfriendly emails.

Definitely another satisfied customer.

Go with the best, forget the rest.

biggrin.gif

Achim

Cool!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

Back