Second OKC knife comming in!

Going to get my SP-51 tomorrow! Just waiting right now.

I selected it over the SP-53...this time...because of the flat blade to easier to maintain...in theory. Though the SP-53 seems to be a better chopper, this one is going to be for general purpose abuse work, it looks like the spear/drop point will be better for batoning...in theory.

I think it will work well with the SP-10 I also got on looks alone but found it really can do a lot also.

Just out of curiosity, is the SP-10 being discontinued? InterNyet Rumor I guess?

Last edited:
As to the rumor of the SP-10 being discontinued... I tried to imagine a scene where I suggested discontinuing that knife. In my mind, it looked a lot like the sales director throwing his shoes at me.

Well got it! It looks like a large kitchen knife! But what a deceptive great looking one! Nice heavy seems good balance for a survival class knife. Showed my brother who grew up in the jungles of latin america he said "This is would be great for working on coconuts!" He liked the straight blade and said he preferred them over the bolo type ones. Its nice and heavy, the small little things I felt and saw on it like no solid butt plate or that little rubber end finger thing/lip/guard on the end of the hilt can cause some pinky wear (fixed by wearing gloves) with prolonged chopping use. Yes stuff said in the reviews, which were very helpful in making my final selection, but still for knife of this GREAT Quality and at this price, those don't even count in my book! Yes I'm probably going to get the SP-53 later on but for now the SP-51 fits all my needs for now. With such these great quality knives at such affordable prices, you can get a few in stead of just highly priced one.

Still might get a BK9 or a RAk-1or2 but that's down the road. Thing I might just look for next is a good stainless heavy bowie for marine use. Since I got my SP-10 also to cover most jobs. But the SP-51 looks like the nice solid work horse of a knife I been looking for. I'm probably going to have both one outings the SP-10 and SP-51 with one for camp/pack and the other for walking around with. Still going to use the smaller knives for their uses and even take a camp axe and saw, but there are many times when the big knife is just more handy than the others. The SP-51's task is going to build up the kindling supply at the old family farm stead in the low porch inside from the snow and wind and where its low ceiling makes hatchet and axe work to hard to do. As I said this knife is going to be a working blade, its tough metal and straight blade, with a think spine that runs most of the knife and good length of it seemed the best logical affordable choice out there. Heh and my SP-10 will get a good work out to besides looking wickedly good.

Ok this is not to bash Razor Edge's mouse trap honing system, this is just what happened with one of the 3 knives I used it on.

I get the Razor Edge's mouse trap honing machine! Try the SP-10 that had a so-so Edge, it made it shaving sharp! Sharper than the factory edge! A cheap Winchester 4" blade came out freaking sharp! So I tested the CS Marauder, still sharp as heck.

Well I move to the SP-51 and try it...duller than a butter knife with slight nicks in the blade. My theory is the angle of the grind isn't good for it, it couldn't even cut paper any more! I took a great factory edge from OKC and well made it a big butter knife, so there went its debut in the woods. Hence my reason for having two decent blades, so use the SP-10 that did a good job. When I practiced my Batactitonical skills against Tyrannical Botanicals by Batacitoning them! The SP-10 did great, it cut through a 6-7 inch dead pine tree and I did some Batacitoning some kindling for the old farm house.

When I took the knife to Razor's Edge, I am close by them, I showed them my SP-51 by running it over my hand the dullness of the blade. "How did you do that to it?" the Grinding guy asked me, he honed it on one they have there, it was sharper but one side was still not as sharp as the other side but still not as sharp as factory edge. So I paid a small fee and he touched up the knife so its super freaking sharp than my other knives now! I know I'll get it duller with use, but now its going to have an even better start! My sharpening stone hasn't made it back my way from hunting season from some one who needed it sharpening his cutting knives. Oh over there some one said "That's a good looking knife" :thumbup:

The one theory I think that happened was is the SP-51 wider grind angle might have some thing to do with it. But this is total speculation and I'm not well edumacated in blade and edge geometry interactions with honing devices. So if some one can tell me what happened or how totally wrong my theory is I'd sure like to hear about it.

That Razor's Edge Mouse Trap sure worked wonders on my other knives! I'm keeping it even if I did blow the SP-53 or RTAC2 budget on it! (Was still deciding on which one to get next.)

Edit: I have to add that some how really odd things happen to at times, maybe this was one of them things where some how I just did the impossible again with not knowing it was possible...again.

Last edited:
I don't know why the sheath gets a bad rap. I rigged mine with the pocket with a folding gut hook hunting knife and a fire starting kit making it a slim compact stand alone survival kit. The SP-51 for big hacking and wood processing and the smaller knife for other things, even the gut hook has its uses, and the fire starting kit comes in handy when the lighter runs out of fuel. To bad my brother saw it and tossed it in his snowmobile seat compartment for a trip he zipped out on, at least he wrapped it in a big sealable bag...I'm going to tell him to GET HIS OWN! :emot-yarr:

Man the SP-51 is proving a great tool to have!

Back