Second XL Espada With Tough Lock

I received my second XL Espada G-10 with a Tri-Ad lock that doesn't want to release unless depressed against the edge of a table. There are several CS knives in my collection with this same lock, and I do like the design. But I also like to be able to close the knife without a fight, especially one so big and sharp. I've got a new L Espada, a Collosus, an XL Voyager, and an XL Talwar that close smoothly, so why not the XL Espadas? I've got one more on the way, and then I give up on them. Yes, I can sent them to the factory for adjustment, but I've got a Luzon there now, and I'm told that it may be 2 months turnaround time. I love the Tri-Ad lock design and CS knives, but maybe a little more QC is in order? I'm not trying to throw stones, as I really am an incurable CS fan.

I'm not excusing this lack of QC , but even my worst Tri-ad lock stick has eventually smoothed out after MUCH breaking in .

Some report taking their problem knives apart and sanding down the lock parts also works .

:p Recently received an AD-10 that worked so slick out of the box that I thought it was busted at first ! So CS can do these perfectly , sometimes .

I'm not excusing this lack of QC , but even my worst Tri-ad lock stick has eventually smoothed out after MUCH breaking in .

Some report taking their problem knives apart and sanding down the lock parts also works .

:p Recently received an AD-10 that worked so slick out of the box that I thought it was busted at first ! So CS can do these perfectly , sometimes .

Yeah that was my experience with the AD10 too...was very surprised

I received my second XL Espada G-10 with a Tri-Ad lock that doesn't want to release unless depressed against the edge of a table. There are several CS knives in my collection with this same lock, and I do like the design. But I also like to be able to close the knife without a fight, especially one so big and sharp. I've got a new L Espada, a Collosus, an XL Voyager, and an XL Talwar that close smoothly, so why not the XL Espadas? I've got one more on the way, and then I give up on them. Yes, I can sent them to the factory for adjustment, but I've got a Luzon there now, and I'm told that it may be 2 months turnaround time. I love the Tri-Ad lock design and CS knives, but maybe a little more QC is in order? I'm not trying to throw stones, as I really am an incurable CS fan.

This trick I read somewhere right here on BF.

Open the knife - have the blade at a 90 degree angle - like an L.

Let it sit for a week or two - no more problem with the lock.

Has worked for me a few different times on different CS knives.

When I do this, I have the knife in an upright position (blade in the air)- clearly out of the way of anyone who may accidentally come in contact with the blade.

Hope it helps

I've lightly sanded the blade tang notch in the past and had some success. I've also had the lock stick disappear from cycling the action. But that can take many repetitions. It can be frustrating. Doesn't seem to happen very often though. I'm surprised you've had an issue twice now with the same model.

This trick I read somewhere right here on BF.

Open the knife - have the blade at a 90 degree angle - like an L.

Let it sit for a week or two - no more problem with the lock.

Has worked for me a few different times on different CS knives.

When I do this, I have the knife in an upright position (blade in the air)- clearly out of the way of anyone who may accidentally come in contact with the blade.

Hope it helps

This one helped a bit with my stiff AK-47. It still has the most stubborn lockup among my five Tri-Ad knives, but it closes a bit easier now. I would suggest trying this out first as well, with knife safety in mind of course. Keep the damn pocket sword away from pets or loved ones.

If that still doesn’t work, then I’d contact CS. Tri-Ad knives should not have the propensity to harm the user.

A stiff spring and a sticky lock are two separate issues.
Leaving the knife halfway open may weaken the spring although a better fix is to open up the knife and slightly bend the spring using a vise.
I've bent springs to weaken but also to strengthen. My Khan spring wasn't bent enough to hold the blade closed.
I weakened the spring slightly on the Air Lite because the blade snapped shut with a lot of force.
I strengthened the spring slightly on the AD-10.

I'm just wondering if there is something about the size of the knife that is making the lock so hard to close? Or maybe just a bad batch, they both came from the same vendor.

No idea but I had an all G-10 XL with XHP that had a couple issues. The DLC coating was scraped off the tang by the lockbar. Shavings would come off after every opening. Didn't seem right. Also there was a hint of up and down blade play. The lock was not sticky though.
I'm considering getting the current version but your experience makes me hesitant.

Triads can be tough to disengage, and I imagine that the larger contact area on that huge knife can make the issue even worse. I’d sand the contact areas or return it.

I received my second XL Espada G-10 with a Tri-Ad lock that doesn't want to release unless depressed against the edge of a table. There are several CS knives in my collection with this same lock, and I do like the design. But I also like to be able to close the knife without a fight, especially one so big and sharp. I've got a new L Espada, a Collosus, an XL Voyager, and an XL Talwar that close smoothly, so why not the XL Espadas? I've got one more on the way, and then I give up on them. Yes, I can sent them to the factory for adjustment, but I've got a Luzon there now, and I'm told that it may be 2 months turnaround time. I love the Tri-Ad lock design and CS knives, but maybe a little more QC is in order? I'm not trying to throw stones, as I really am an incurable CS fan.[/QUOTE

I have lots of triad locks and only had one with a similar problem as yours.
My XL Counterpoint was so stiff I had to disengage with a table edge.

Eventually I took it apart and smoothed all the surfaces but using some 3in1 oil and cycling it over and over did help it to the point where I could unlock it normally but I still could feel it catch a bit so I opened it up.

Really the triad lock is much easier to work on than a Spyderco backlock in my opinion.

I'm not a big Spyderco fan, but I do have a few. I've never had a problem with their backlocks.

I am a huge Cold Steel fan, but I really don't think that anyone should have to take apart a new knife that costs over $150 just to get the blade to close.

I have taken apart Delicas and Enduras also and I find CS knives go back together much easier.
Way less fiddling with CS because of design and lack of metal liners.
Yeah, compared to delicas/enduras, the cold steel triads are easier to get together without the backspring giving trouble.

I have taken apart Delicas and Enduras also and I find CS knives go back together much easier.
Way less fiddling with CS because of design and lack of metal liners.

Thanks for explaining. I disassembled a Delica recently and I agree that it was a bit tricky getting the scales to click in place. The backspring wasn't a problem for me.

You are using the inner side of the 1st thumb joint and not the tip of the thumb or finger? Once you get the technique down, you'll be able to disengage any Tri Ad lock.

I have seen this on non Espada knives also(I have one now). I wonder if it is fixable under warranty.

Back